Chris Terry Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The American Hockey League announced on Thursday that the Grand Rapids Griffins' top point producer and the league's leading goal scorer, Chris Terry, has been selected to play for the Central Division All-Star Team at the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield, to be held Jan. 27-28 in Springfield, Mass.
Each of the AHL's four divisions will be represented by 12 players. Rosters were determined by committees of AHL coaches, and all 31 AHL teams are represented by at least one All-Star.
Terry, in his 10th season as a professional and first in Grand Rapids, has earned his third consecutive AHL All-Star bid and fourth overall (2012). The John B. Sollenberger Trophy award winner from 2017-18 as the league's leading scorer and a reigning AHL First All-Star Team selection, Terry paces the league with 21 goals this season and ranks third with 38 points in 35 games while adding a plus-14 rating and 16 penalty minutes. He is bidding to join Teemu Pulkkinen (34 in 2014-15) and Donald MacLean (56 in 2005-06) as the only Griffins to lead the league in goals.
Terry has accumulated nine points (3-6-9) during his current five-game point streak and his 22 points (10-12-22) over the last 18 contests are the most in the league in that span.
The 29-year-old picked up his 500th point as a professional on Dec. 1 against Texas and collected his 200th AHL goal on Dec. 14 vs. Rockford, becoming only the third active skater to light the lamp 200 or more times.
During his AHL career that includes time spent in Albany (2007-08; 2009-10), Charlotte (2010-15), St. John's (2016-17), Laval (2017-18) and Grand Rapids, the 5-foot-10, 195-pound winger has totaled 478 points (204-274-478) in 535 career games. In 33 Calder Cup Playoff appearances, Terry shows 20 points (11-9-20) and 26 PIM. He was named to the 2016-17 AHL Second All-Star Team after ranking second in the league with 68 points and has notched 60 or more points five times in his career. Terry was chosen as Laval's Man of the Year last season for his community involvement.
Originally drafted in the fifth round, 132nd overall, of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Carolina Hurricanes, Terry has appeared in 152 career NHL games over parts of five seasons (2012-17) between Carolina and the Montreal Canadiens and recorded 38 points (22-16-38).
A native of Brampton, Ontario, Terry played four seasons (2005-09) with the Plymouth Whalers in the Ontario Hockey League prior to turning pro. He logged 289 points (114-175-289) in 253 games and was twice selected to the OHL All-Star Classic (2008-09, 2007-08). During his final campaign in 2008-09, he was named to the OHL Third All-Star Team, while also winning the Mickey Renaud Captain's Trophy as the team captain that best exemplifies leadership on and off the ice and the Dan Snyder Trophy as the league's humanitarian of the year.
Complete rosters for the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic can be found here.
The 2019 AHL All-Star Skills Competition on Jan. 27 (7 p.m.) will pit the All-Stars from the two Eastern Conference divisions against those from the two Western Conference divisions in seven skills events.
In the 2019 AHL All-Star Challenge on Jan. 28 (7 p.m.), the four teams will participate in a 3-on-3, round-robin tournament featuring six games of 10 minutes each. The two teams with the best records at the end of the round-robin will face off for the championship, a six-minute, 3-on-3 game.
The Griffins are on a five-game point streak and begin the new year with road games at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Friday at 7:05 p.m. and Hershey on Saturday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2019
- San Diego Gulls Acquire Jared Thomas from San Antonio - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Acquire McGinn, Lose Oligny - Chicago Wolves
- Oligny Reassigned, McGinn Traded to Chicago - Manitoba Moose
- Anaheim Ducks Trade Jared Coreau to St. Louis - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Host Zooperstars and Pet Bowl Giveaway this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Francouz, Agozzino Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Colorado Eagles
- Campbell, Delia Named to AHL All-Star Team - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Erik Condra, Reassign Tony Calderone - Texas Stars
- Moore and RosÃ©n Named to the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Toronto Marlies
- John Gilmour Headed Back to AHL All-Star Classic - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Elliott Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Batherson Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Belleville Senators
- Wade Megan Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Recall Defensemen Manning, McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Denis Gurianov Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Texas Stars
- Appleton Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Alex Belzile to Represent the Rocket at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Laval Rocket
- Kaapo Kahkonen, Cal O'Reilly Join Head Coach Tim Army on Central Division All-Star Team - Iowa Wild
- Cory Conacher and Connor Ingram Named 2019 AHL All-Stars - Syracuse Crunch
- Chris Terry Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Fitzgerald Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Providence Bruins
- Greg Carey Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Middleton, Perron and Korenar Named to the AHL All-Star Classic - San Jose Barracuda
- Rempal, Walker Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Ontario Reign
- Vitek Vanecek Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Hershey Bears
- Capobianco, Garland Selected as Roadrunners 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Representatives - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blackwood, Quenneville Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - Binghamton Devils
- Zac Dalpe to Represent Monsters, North Division at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Cleveland Monsters
- Pirri, Carr, Brannstrom Named AHL All-Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Trevor Carrick, Janne Kuokkanen Named AHL All Stars - Charlotte Checkers
- Donovan Selected for AHL All Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Curtis Lazar Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Stockton Heat
- Condors Gambardella Selected to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Dal Colle, Aho Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Jordan Kyrou Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- Troy Terry Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Lawrence Pilut, Zach Redmond Named to American Hockey League All-Star Roster - Rochester Americans
- Penguins' Ethan Prow Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Reid Boucher Selected for AHL All-Star Classic - Utica Comets
- Playing Rosters Unveiled for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Borgstrom, Montembeault to Represent T-Birds at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Coyotes Recall Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Wrap Successful Season of Giving - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Assign Olivier Archambault to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Sign F Tomas Jurco to One-Year AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Bears Re-Assign Grant Besse to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Belleville Senators Support Mental Health During Bell Let's Talk Game Night - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Begin New Year with Trip to Pennsylvania - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Offensive Struggles Continue as Ads Edge Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Rocket Special Teams Shine in 4-2 Victory over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Blandisi's Late Goal Gives Gulls Win over Bakersfield - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Drop 2-1 Decision to San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Franchise Records Matched in Win over Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Score Late, Top Sound Tigers in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Extends Win Streak to Four Games with 3-1 Victory against Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Moose Stumble at San Antonio - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Join the Griffins in Helping Kids' Food Basket's COVID-19 Emergency Response
- Griffins Ink Patrick Curry to Two-Year Deal
- Max Humitz, Tory Dello Signed to One-Year Contracts
- Puempel and Pickard Power Griffins to Win
- Griffins Sign Notre Dame's Tory Dello to Amateur Tryout