Blandisi's Late Goal Gives Gulls Win over Bakersfield
Joseph Blandisi scored the game-winning goal with 1:10 left in regulation as the Gulls began their 2019 calendar schedule with a 2-1 win over the Bakersfield Condors at Rabobank Arena. The victory marks a season-high four-game win streak and extends San Diego's standings point streak to nine games (7-0-0-2), also a season high. The Gulls have also won three straight road contests and earned points in five straight road games (3-0-0-2).
San Diego's nine-game point streak is the third longest such streak in franchise history, the longest since the club went 11 straight games without a regulation loss from Feb. 19-Mar. 16, 2016 (9-0-1-1). With a 15-11-1-3 record through 30 games, it marks the second-best start in club history, one point shy of the 17-12-0-1 record (35 points) through 30 contests in 2015-16.
Kevin Boyle tied a career high with his sixth straight win and 11th victory of the season (11-5-0). Boyle stopped 33-of-34 shots and has posted a 1.97 goals-against average (GAA) and .930 save percentage (SV%) during his six-game win streak that matches his six consecutive victories from Jan. 27-Feb. 17, 2018. In three games versus Bakersfield this season, Boyle is a perfect 3-0 with a 1.67 GAA and .955 SV%.
Blandisi's game-winning goal marked his sixth goal of the season and second game winner. He has also scored 5-5=10 points in his last nine games, including three points his last two games (1-2=3).
Matt Berry opened the scoring 3:17 into the first period, and added an assist on Blandisi's goal for his second career multi-point game. Berry has 2-7=9 points in 10 games this season.
Adam Cracknell earned an assist on the Berry goal, his second point since joining San Diego. Luke Schenn recorded his ninth point of the season with an assist on the game-winning goal.
San Diego will host their first game of 2019 on Friday, Jan. 4 versus the San Jose Barracuda at Pechanga Arena San Diego (7 p.m.).
San Diego Gulls
On his goal
It wasn't pretty, we had a lot of good net-front presence. We got a puck through from the point and I was lucky enough to put it on net and it went in. You have to credit our goaltender tonight. It wasn't our best effort as players, but some nights your goalie bails you out and you get your two points.
On creating more chances
We have to find ways to find our legs some nights and we weren't quite able to do it until the end. I thought we had a better third period. It still wasn't our game, but our ability to win games here as of late has been pretty good, so we are proud of that for sure.
On Kevin Boyle
He came in ready to play at the beginning of the year, you could see it from day one. He has been strong the whole way. Knowing that we have him back there, it definitely makes it easier to play up front.
Head Coach Dallas Eakins
On the game
We weren't great for two periods, and good on our guy son the room and they got it together for the third. It's great that our standards have changed. We're up 1-0 after the first period and we were fairly upset with how we were playing. I think that just shows you part of the process of going through the season.
On the message between periods
I think sometimes when you play a team this many times, the things that make you successful, sometimes you become bored with it, sometimes you even resent it. Like, 'let's do something else, let's change it up, let's keep it fresh.' We don't want to keep it fresh, we want to go with what works. We had decided that we were going to do something else. We reminded each other in between the first and second that that's not part of our game plan and we're going to go with what works. After the second period, that's all of the guys in our room. Our leadership group, our players in the room, that was their discussion and they came out very well in the third period.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2019
- San Diego Gulls Acquire Jared Thomas from San Antonio - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Acquire McGinn, Lose Oligny - Chicago Wolves
- Oligny Reassigned, McGinn Traded to Chicago - Manitoba Moose
- Anaheim Ducks Trade Jared Coreau to St. Louis - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Host Zooperstars and Pet Bowl Giveaway this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Francouz, Agozzino Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Colorado Eagles
- Campbell, Delia Named to AHL All-Star Team - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Erik Condra, Reassign Tony Calderone - Texas Stars
- Moore and RosÃ©n Named to the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Toronto Marlies
- John Gilmour Headed Back to AHL All-Star Classic - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Elliott Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Batherson Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Belleville Senators
- Wade Megan Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Recall Defensemen Manning, McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Denis Gurianov Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Texas Stars
- Appleton Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Alex Belzile to Represent the Rocket at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Laval Rocket
- Kaapo Kahkonen, Cal O'Reilly Join Head Coach Tim Army on Central Division All-Star Team - Iowa Wild
- Cory Conacher and Connor Ingram Named 2019 AHL All-Stars - Syracuse Crunch
- Chris Terry Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Fitzgerald Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Providence Bruins
- Greg Carey Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Middleton, Perron and Korenar Named to the AHL All-Star Classic - San Jose Barracuda
- Rempal, Walker Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Ontario Reign
- Vitek Vanecek Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Hershey Bears
- Capobianco, Garland Selected as Roadrunners 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Representatives - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blackwood, Quenneville Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - Binghamton Devils
- Zac Dalpe to Represent Monsters, North Division at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Cleveland Monsters
- Pirri, Carr, Brannstrom Named AHL All-Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Trevor Carrick, Janne Kuokkanen Named AHL All Stars - Charlotte Checkers
- Donovan Selected for AHL All Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Curtis Lazar Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Stockton Heat
- Condors Gambardella Selected to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Dal Colle, Aho Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Jordan Kyrou Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- Troy Terry Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Lawrence Pilut, Zach Redmond Named to American Hockey League All-Star Roster - Rochester Americans
- Penguins' Ethan Prow Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Reid Boucher Selected for AHL All-Star Classic - Utica Comets
- Playing Rosters Unveiled for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Borgstrom, Montembeault to Represent T-Birds at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Coyotes Recall Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Wrap Successful Season of Giving - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Assign Olivier Archambault to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Sign F Tomas Jurco to One-Year AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Bears Re-Assign Grant Besse to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Belleville Senators Support Mental Health During Bell Let's Talk Game Night - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Begin New Year with Trip to Pennsylvania - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Offensive Struggles Continue as Ads Edge Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Rocket Special Teams Shine in 4-2 Victory over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Blandisi's Late Goal Gives Gulls Win over Bakersfield - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Drop 2-1 Decision to San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Franchise Records Matched in Win over Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Score Late, Top Sound Tigers in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Extends Win Streak to Four Games with 3-1 Victory against Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Moose Stumble at San Antonio - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- Gulls to Host Halloween Trick Or Treat Drive-Thru at THE RINKS - Poway Ice October 31
- Irvine Ice Foundation Adds San Diego Jr. Gulls and Lady Gulls Hockey Programs
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Maxim Golod to Three-Year Entry-Level Contract
- Anaheim Ducks Sign De Leo, Welinski, Poturalski and Lettieri to One-Year Contracts
- Anaheim Ducks Select Six Players During Second Day of 2020 NHL Draft