Lawrence Pilut, Zach Redmond Named to American Hockey League All-Star Roster
Currently in his first American Hockey League season after being named the SHL's top defenseman in 2017-18, Pilut has been more than a point-per-game player for Rochester, recording 22 points (3+19) from the blueline as well as a team-best plus-19 on-ice rating that is tied for third-best in the AHL. The Tingsryd, Sweden, native began the season with four multi-point efforts through his first seven games, including three separate three-point efforts over that span, before totaling nine points (1+8) over a season-long seven-game point streak to open the month of November. He's been held scoreless just three times all season and hasn't gone more than one game without a point.
Pilut's offensive output earned him a recall to the Buffalo Sabres on Nov. 21 and he's remained with the big club since, picking up three assists in nine NHL appearances. Despite currently being on recall, he remains among Rochester's top five point-getters and is tied for eighth in scoring among all AHL defensemen coming into the New Year despite only appearing in 16 games this season. His 19 assists are also tied for fourth-most amongst blueliners.
Redmond, who earns his first trip to the AHL All-Star Classic since 2012, is on a record-setting pace to etch his name in team and league history. The 30-year-old veteran blueliner has scored a team-high 15 goals this season, including seven on the power-play, good enough for sixth in the league in that category. Redmond, who had an AHL-best nine-game point streak to end the month of October, enters the New Year tied for 12th in the league in goals (15) and ranks second amongst all active AHL defensemen with 28 points, while his seven game-winning goals are tops in the AHL.
Earlier this season, the Traverse City, Mich., native became the fastest Amerks defenseman to score 10 goals in the fewest amount of games to begin the season since Amerks Hall of Famer Don McSween reached the mark in his first 21 games during the 1989-90 campaign. Redmond reached the mark in just 14 games. Redmond, who last season became just the first Amerk blueliner in seven years to lead the team in scoring, has already matched his career-high of 15 from last season and needs only three more goals to tie the single-season franchise record for the most by a defenseman of 18, set by Rick Pagnutti during the 1972-73 season. The AHL record for goals by a defenseman is held by John Slaney, who netted 30 for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins during the 1999-00 campaign.
An eight-year pro, the 6-foot-2, 212-pound blueliner has amassed 175 points (59+116) over 290 career AHL games with Rochester, St. John's, San Antonio and Chicago while also adding 38 points (9+29) in 133 NHL appearances for Winnipeg, Colorado, Montreal and Buffalo.
The two-day event begins on Sunday, Jan. 27 with the 2019 AHL All-Star Skills Competition at 8:00 p.m. In keeping with its traditional format, the All-Stars from the two Eastern Conference divisions will be squaring off against the All-Stars from the two Western Conference divisions in seven skills events, including hardest shot, fastest skater and accuracy shooting.
The 2019 AHL All-Star Challenge will then take place on the evening of Monday, Jan. 28 at 7:00 p.m. For the fourth straight year, instead of a traditional 60-minute game, the league's all-stars will be divided into four teams, one representing each of the league's divisions (Atlantic, North, Central, Pacific). The teams will then play a round-robin tournament featuring six games of 10 minutes each played entirely at 3-on-3. The two teams with the best records at the end of the round-robin tournament will face off for the championship, a six-minute game also played using the 3-on-3 format. Rosters for each team will be composed of 11 skaters and two goaltenders.
Tickets for the two-day 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield are priced at $39, $49, $59 and $99, and include admission to both the Skills Competition on Jan. 27 and the All-Star Challenge on Jan. 28. Tickets can be purchased either in person at the MassMutual Center Box Office located at 1277 Main St. in Springfield, Mass., online at www.springfieldthunderbirds/allstar or by calling 1-413-739-4625.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2019
- San Diego Gulls Acquire Jared Thomas from San Antonio - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Acquire McGinn, Lose Oligny - Chicago Wolves
- Oligny Reassigned, McGinn Traded to Chicago - Manitoba Moose
- Anaheim Ducks Trade Jared Coreau to St. Louis - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Host Zooperstars and Pet Bowl Giveaway this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Francouz, Agozzino Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Colorado Eagles
- Campbell, Delia Named to AHL All-Star Team - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Erik Condra, Reassign Tony Calderone - Texas Stars
- Moore and RosÃ©n Named to the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Toronto Marlies
- John Gilmour Headed Back to AHL All-Star Classic - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Elliott Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Batherson Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Belleville Senators
- Wade Megan Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Recall Defensemen Manning, McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Denis Gurianov Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Texas Stars
- Appleton Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Alex Belzile to Represent the Rocket at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Laval Rocket
- Kaapo Kahkonen, Cal O'Reilly Join Head Coach Tim Army on Central Division All-Star Team - Iowa Wild
- Cory Conacher and Connor Ingram Named 2019 AHL All-Stars - Syracuse Crunch
- Chris Terry Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Fitzgerald Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Providence Bruins
- Greg Carey Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Middleton, Perron and Korenar Named to the AHL All-Star Classic - San Jose Barracuda
- Rempal, Walker Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Ontario Reign
- Vitek Vanecek Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Hershey Bears
- Capobianco, Garland Selected as Roadrunners 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Representatives - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blackwood, Quenneville Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - Binghamton Devils
- Zac Dalpe to Represent Monsters, North Division at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Cleveland Monsters
- Pirri, Carr, Brannstrom Named AHL All-Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Trevor Carrick, Janne Kuokkanen Named AHL All Stars - Charlotte Checkers
- Donovan Selected for AHL All Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Curtis Lazar Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Stockton Heat
- Condors Gambardella Selected to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Dal Colle, Aho Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Jordan Kyrou Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- Troy Terry Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Lawrence Pilut, Zach Redmond Named to American Hockey League All-Star Roster - Rochester Americans
- Penguins' Ethan Prow Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Reid Boucher Selected for AHL All-Star Classic - Utica Comets
- Playing Rosters Unveiled for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Borgstrom, Montembeault to Represent T-Birds at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Coyotes Recall Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Wrap Successful Season of Giving - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Assign Olivier Archambault to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Sign F Tomas Jurco to One-Year AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Bears Re-Assign Grant Besse to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Belleville Senators Support Mental Health During Bell Let's Talk Game Night - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Begin New Year with Trip to Pennsylvania - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Offensive Struggles Continue as Ads Edge Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Rocket Special Teams Shine in 4-2 Victory over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Blandisi's Late Goal Gives Gulls Win over Bakersfield - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Drop 2-1 Decision to San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Franchise Records Matched in Win over Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Score Late, Top Sound Tigers in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Extends Win Streak to Four Games with 3-1 Victory against Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Moose Stumble at San Antonio - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, January 19, 2020 at Hershey Bears
- Amerks Blanked by Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 18, 2020 at Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Force Overtime, But Fall in Shootout to Monsters
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 17, 2020 vs. Cleveland Monsters