Iowa Extends Win Streak to Four Games with 3-1 Victory against Chicago
CHICAGO, ILL. - Iowa Wild (19-8-4-3; 45 pts.) extended its winning streak to four games when it defeated the Chicago Wolves (20-11-3-1; 44 pts.) by a score of 3-1 Wednesday evening. The win also gave Iowa sole possession of first place not only in the Central Division but also in the Western Conference.
Chicago took a 1-0 lead just 1:50 into the game when defenseman Dylan Coghlan potted his sixth goal of the season. Forward Reid Duke took a shot from the left side that was stopped by goaltender Andrew Hammond (28 saves), but Coghlan chipped the rebound over Hammond's left pad for the score. Forward Stefan Matteau earned the secondary assist on the 4-on-4 goal.
At the end of the first period, Chicago led 1-0 and outshot Iowa 11-5.
Iowa tied the game at 1-1 just 70 seconds into the second period thanks to a shorthanded goal from forward Matt Read. Read picked up a loose puck in the neutral zone and raced into the attacking third of the ice. Read then wristed a shot over the blocker of goaltender Maxime Lagace (23 saves) unassisted for his eighth of the season. The goal marked the fifth shorthanded tally of the year for the Wild.
Read added his second goal of the game just more than five minutes later, giving the Wild a 2-1 lead. Forward Justin Kloos caught a pass from forward Gerry Mayhew and drove to the Chicago net, forcing Lagace to make a diving paddle save. Kloos followed up his shot and pushed the puck back in front of the goal mouth, where Read buried it into the open net. With his tally, Read has nine points (6g, 3a) in his last eight games and Kloos' assist marked his 17th point (6g, 11a) in his last 12 contests.
Through two periods of play, the Wild led 2-1 with Chicago owning an 18-16 shot advantage.
The Wild added an empty-net goal at 19:51 to clinch the 3-1 victory. Forward Joel Eriksson Ek got the tally, giving him four goals in his three games with Iowa this season. Eriksson Ek now has 13 points (8g, 5a) in 12 AHL games and a point in seven consecutive AHL competitions, dating back to last season. Forward Landon Ferraro notched an assist on the empty-netter.
Final shot totals were 29-26 in favor of Chicago and both teams went 0-for-4 on the power play. Wednesday's win put Iowa 11 games above .500, the highest total so far this season and continues a franchise-best campaign.
Iowa returns to Wells Fargo Arena for a matchup against the Rockford IceHogs Friday night. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2019
- San Diego Gulls Acquire Jared Thomas from San Antonio - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Acquire McGinn, Lose Oligny - Chicago Wolves
- Oligny Reassigned, McGinn Traded to Chicago - Manitoba Moose
- Anaheim Ducks Trade Jared Coreau to St. Louis - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Host Zooperstars and Pet Bowl Giveaway this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Francouz, Agozzino Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Colorado Eagles
- Campbell, Delia Named to AHL All-Star Team - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Erik Condra, Reassign Tony Calderone - Texas Stars
- Moore and RosÃ©n Named to the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Toronto Marlies
- John Gilmour Headed Back to AHL All-Star Classic - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Elliott Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Batherson Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Belleville Senators
- Wade Megan Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Recall Defensemen Manning, McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Denis Gurianov Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Texas Stars
- Appleton Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Alex Belzile to Represent the Rocket at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Laval Rocket
- Kaapo Kahkonen, Cal O'Reilly Join Head Coach Tim Army on Central Division All-Star Team - Iowa Wild
- Cory Conacher and Connor Ingram Named 2019 AHL All-Stars - Syracuse Crunch
- Chris Terry Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Fitzgerald Selected for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Providence Bruins
- Greg Carey Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Middleton, Perron and Korenar Named to the AHL All-Star Classic - San Jose Barracuda
- Rempal, Walker Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Ontario Reign
- Vitek Vanecek Named to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Hershey Bears
- Capobianco, Garland Selected as Roadrunners 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Representatives - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blackwood, Quenneville Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - Binghamton Devils
- Zac Dalpe to Represent Monsters, North Division at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Cleveland Monsters
- Pirri, Carr, Brannstrom Named AHL All-Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Trevor Carrick, Janne Kuokkanen Named AHL All Stars - Charlotte Checkers
- Donovan Selected for AHL All Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Curtis Lazar Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Stockton Heat
- Condors Gambardella Selected to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Dal Colle, Aho Selected to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Islanders
- Jordan Kyrou Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- Troy Terry Named to 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Lawrence Pilut, Zach Redmond Named to American Hockey League All-Star Roster - Rochester Americans
- Penguins' Ethan Prow Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Reid Boucher Selected for AHL All-Star Classic - Utica Comets
- Playing Rosters Unveiled for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Borgstrom, Montembeault to Represent T-Birds at 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic Presented by MGM Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Coyotes Recall Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Wrap Successful Season of Giving - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Assign Olivier Archambault to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Sign F Tomas Jurco to One-Year AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Bears Re-Assign Grant Besse to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Belleville Senators Support Mental Health During Bell Let's Talk Game Night - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Begin New Year with Trip to Pennsylvania - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Offensive Struggles Continue as Ads Edge Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Rocket Special Teams Shine in 4-2 Victory over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Blandisi's Late Goal Gives Gulls Win over Bakersfield - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Drop 2-1 Decision to San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Franchise Records Matched in Win over Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Score Late, Top Sound Tigers in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Extends Win Streak to Four Games with 3-1 Victory against Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Moose Stumble at San Antonio - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.