Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss
The Manitoba Moose (1-4-0-0) were defeated 6-4 by the Iowa Wild (4-0-0-1) on Friday night at Bell MTS Place.
The Moose opened the scoring with an early goal from Johnathan Kovacevic 1:04 into the first period. Kovacevic's first goal of the season was assisted by Seth Griffith and Cameron Schilling.
The Wild were able tie the game before the end of the first period with a power play goal from Louie Belpedio. The Wild tested Moose goaltender Mikhail Berdin with 17 shots in the first period alone, but were only able to capitalize on one of them. The penalties racked up quickly in the first period with 14 penalties called.
Heading into the second period special teams continued to be a factor for both clubs. The Moose and Wild exchanged goals early in the second. With a goal for the Moose from JC Lipon and a goal for the Wild from Matt Register the game was tied 2-2. Kyle Rau scored for the Wild to finish the second period making the score 3-2.
The Wild found the net again to start the third period with a goal from Brennan Menell giving the Wild a two goal advantage. Michael Spacek scored a power play goal just over a minute later on a nice pass from Andrei Chibisov giving the Moose momentum. Manitoba struck again with a goal from C.J. Suess to even up the game at four. The intensity rose as both clubs looked determined to come out of the game with a win. Sam Anas scored the game-winner for the Wild at 14:43 on the power play. J.T. Brown added an empty net goal giving the Wild the 6-4 victory.
Johnathan Kovacevic scored his first two AHL goals on his first two shots (April 14/19, Oct.18/19)
Andrei Chibisov recorded his first AHL assist
Seth Griffith now leads the Moose in assists (4), after posting three tonight
Attendance was announced at 5,102
The Moose take on the Wild Saturday for the Halloween Game at Bell MTS Place. Fans are encouraged to dress up in costumes and arrive early for pre-game festivities. Puck drop is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT. Tickets are available moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.