Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win
SYRACUSE, NY - As they have following each loss this season, the Checkers rebounded nicely in Syracuse on Saturday, crushing the Crunch by a 7-3 score.
Flipping the script from the night before, the Checkers were all over the home team from the start. Eetu Luostarinen converted a shorthanded breakaway less than four minutes into regulation, followed shortly after by a power-play snipe from Morgan Geekie. Chase Priskie added another just minutes after that and Brian Gibbons redirected another power-play goal in to push the Checkers ahead 4-0 before the first intermission even hit.
That red-hot start would be all Charlotte needed Saturday night. The Crunch would add three tallies over the next 40 minutes but the Checkers would match that output as well, cruising to a blowout victory.
Charlotte's special teams played a key role in the team's production, both on the man advantage and on the penalty kill. The Checkers got back on track with a pair of power-play tallies and also added a pair of shorthanded goals, with Gibbons accounting for one of each.
Gibbons was just one of several Checkers to turn in big numbers Saturday night. He (2g, 2a) and Chase Priskie (1g, 3a) both racked up four points, while Morgan Geekie pumped in a goal and two assists and Julien Gauthier lit the lamp twice.
Anton Forsberg kept his perfect record in a Checkers sweater going by denying 31 of the 34 shots he saw from Utica, including helping Charlotte kill six of seven penalties on the night.
The Checkers have not lost consecutive games this season ... The Checkers scored two shorthanded goals for the third time in franchise history and the first time since Oct. 7, 2017 ... Gibbons and Priskie's four points are the most by a Checker this season and one shy of the franchise single-season record ... Priskie is the sixth rookie in franchise history to record four points in a game and the second rookie defenseman ... Fredrik Claesson recorded his second two-assist performance in the last three games ... Eetu Luostarinen extended his goal streak to four games ... Claesson finished the game as a +4, the highest mark by a Checker this season ... Priskie's goal was his first as a pro ... Cavan Fitzgerald made his Checkers debut ... Stelio Mattheos, Spencer Smallman and Jake Bean missed the game due to injury ... Hunter Shinkaruk, Ryan Horvat, Jacob Pritchard and Alex Lintuniemi were all healthy extras
The Checkers now return home for a pair of games against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms starting Friday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Tracking Panthers Prospects and Former Checkers as Hockey Season Begins
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton