Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT
BINGHAMTON - The Binghamton Devils squandered a two-goal lead as the Hartford Wolf Pack won in overtime, 4-3, on Saturday night inside Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
Vinni Lettieri gave the Wolf Pack a 1-0 lead just 3:03 into the game on a great shot from the right wing circle. Lettieri beat Groleau to the loose puck and lifted the puck over the left shoulder of goaltender Evan Cormier for his third of the year, unassisted.
Binghamton exploded for three goals in a span of 4:06 to take a 3-1 lead. The Devils forced a Wolf Pack turnover in the offensive zone and Ryan Schmelzer fed Marian Studenic who tapped the puck by the right leg pad of goaltender Adam Huska to tie the game. The goal was Studenic's first of the year with the lone assist going to Schmelzer.
Under three minutes later, Brett Seney rocketed a shot on the power play to give the Devils a one-goal advantage. Seney took a pass from Joe Morrow and ripped a shot over the left shoulder of Huska for his third of the year. The power-play tally came at 12:24 of the first with helpers credited to Morrow and Joey Anderson.
After great work down low below the goal line, Ludvig Larsson slid home a Brandon Gignac feed to give the Devils a 3-1 lead at 13:45 of the first. Gignac and Blake Speers collected the assists on Larsson's first of the year and Binghamton took that lead into the intermission.
The lone goal in the second period came just 1:54 after puck drop. Hartford came out flying and Joey Keane scored his third of the year to pull the Wolf Pack within a goal. Keane's goal had assists from Lettieri and Mason Geertsen and the Devils took the one-goal lead to the third period.
After a boarding call sent Speers to the penalty box with five minutes left in the third, Filip Chytil sent a rocket towards the net from the left wing circle. Cormier was unable to make the save and the Wolf Pack tied the game at three with four minutes left in the third period. The Devils couldn't answer in regulation and the game headed to overtime.
38 seconds into the overtime period, Chytil brought the puck down into the Binghamton zone and passed it back to Phil Di Giuseppe who put the 4-3 game-winning goal past Cormier.
Cormier stopped 32 of 36 shots on goal in the loss.
The Devils return home Wednesday against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Saturday against the Toronto Marlies for Star Wars Night. Get a special Star Wars Pack that includes a ticket and FREE Binghamton Devils lightsaber. Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Download the FREE Binghamton Devils mobile app for Apple and Android. Get live score updates and breaking news notifications right to your phone!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Islanders
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Islanders
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.