Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2
(Laval, QC) - Brian Pinho broke a 2-2 tie in the 3rd period with his first goal of the season to help lift the Hershey Bears to a 4-2 win over the Laval Rocket on Saturday night at Place Bell. The Bears finish their three-game Canadian road swing with a successful 2-1-0-0 record with wins coming in Belleville and Laval.
Hershey yielded the game's first goal in the opening period for the third straight night before battling back. Ryan Poehling scored for Laval at 11:34 on the power play after banging into the net a backdoor pass from Dale Weise. It stood as the only tally in the first period for either side. Shots after 20 minutes were 9-5 Rocket.
Next period, Connor Hobbs tallied his first goal of the season at 8:39 to bring the Bears even. On a blast from the center point, Hobbs beat Rocket goaltender Charlie Lindgren along the glove side. Brett Leason recorded the secondary assist on the play for his first career professional point. Laval regained the lead at 12:33 courtesy of a goal by Nikita Jevpalovs. On a centering pass to the slot, Jevpalovs broke to the net and lifted a backhander over Vitek Vanecek and into the cage. But before the period expired, the resilient Bears battled back to erase their second, one-goal deficit before the frame expired. On a 3-on-2 offensive rush, Joe Snively fired a wrist shot past Lindgren to tie the score at 16:35.
Into the third stanza, Hershey continued to dictate the five-on-five play before cashing in for an early tally. After Alex Alexeyev fanned on his shot from the center point, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby found Brian Pinho on the back door, who beat Lindgren top shelf at 3:44. Liam O'Brien iced the game with an empty net goal at 19:55 to help the Bears grind out a 4-2 road victory. The Hershey Bears finished the night 0-for-3 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill, and edged the Rocket in shots, 27-25. The Bears have won three of their first four road games in 2019-20, going 3-1-0-0 away from Giant Center.
The Hershey Bears return to action on Wednesday, Oct. 23 for a 7 PM road tilt against the Rochester Americans. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.