Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were overpowered by the Charlotte Checkers, 7-3, tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
After the Checkers put up five straight goals, Chris Mueller stopped the onslaught in the season period. Alex Barre-Boulet and Dennis Yan each added goals in the third, but it was not enough and the team moves to 2-2-1-0 on the season.
Louis Domingue stopped 7-of-11 in net for the Crunch before being relieved by Scott Wedgewood to start the second period. Wedgewood went on to turn aside 16-of-18 shots. Anton Forsberg blocked 31-of-34 between the pipes for the Checkers. The Crunch were able to convert on 1-of-7 power play opportunities and shut down 2-of-5 Charlotte man-advantages.
The Checkers opened scoring just 3:47 into the game when Steven Lorenz sent the puck to the top of the right circle for Eetu Luostarinen to skate into the slot and score five-hole shorthanded. At 9:17, Morgan Geekie added one on the power play with a wrist shot from the top of the right circle. Two minutes later, Geekie passed over for Chase Priskie to one-time from the point. Gibbons made it 4-0 with 1:13 left in the first period. He picked up the loose puck at the blueline and fired through traffic while on the power play.
Halfway through the second period, Julien Gauthier extended the lead when he intercepted a pass at the blue line and sent in a wrister from the right circle.
The Crunch got on the board with a shorthanded goal at the 12:10 mark. Cory Conacher broke up a play and skated the puck into the zone on a 2-on-1 rush with Chris Mueller. He waited then fed Mueller who chipped it in backdoor.
Gibbons netted his second of the night shorthanded 2:48 into the third period with the help of Colin Markison.
The Crunch added two more late in the third. At 12:51, Barre-Boulet scored after some tic-tac-toe passing from Mueller and Yan during 5-on-3 play. Two minutes later, Yan potted one of his own. He picked up Cameron Gaunce's feed at the blue line, wove through the slot and fired from the left circle.
Gauthier ended the late comeback attempt with an empty netter in the final minutes.
The Crunch are back in action when they host the Rochester Americans on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Chris Mueller scored his first shorthanded goal since March 28, 2017.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Present Donation to Upstate University Hospital
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Nikita Pavlychev to AHL Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Free Agent Defenseman Sean Day
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season