O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest
MILWAUKEE, WI. - Colorado Eagles forward Logan O'Connor scored the game-winning goal 45 seconds into the overtime and added an assist, as the Eagles defeated the Milwaukee Admirals, 3-2 on Saturday. The two teams combined for a season-high 140 penalty minutes in the contest. Colorado goaltender Adam Werner won his third-consecutive start in net, making 34 saves on 36 shots. The Eagles concluded their road trip with a clean sweep, collecting all six possible points.
A power play would ignite the scoring in the contest, as Eagles forward Michael Joly would hammer home a one-timer from the right-wing circle to give Colorado a 1-0 advantage at the 7:38 mark of the first period. The Eagles would outshoot Milwaukee, 16-13 in the opening 20 minutes and carry their 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
The second period would start with a bang, as a fight between Eagles forward A.J. Greer and Admirals forward Josh Healey would send both to the penalty box just 1:09 into the middle frame. After entering the Eagles penalty box, Milwaukee defenseman Jarred Tonordi would have words for Greer, causing Greer to leave the penalty box and drop the gloves with Tinordi. A third fight between Eagles defenseman Dan Renouf and Admirals forward Mathieu Olivier would then break out shortly thereafter. The fracas would lead to both teams collecting 100 minutes in penalties, with Greer, Healey, Tinordi, Olivier and Renouf all handed game misconducts.
Minutes later, Milwaukee would square things up on the scoreboard when a shot from the left-wing boards was tipped by Admirals forward Laurent Dauphin, sending the puck into the back of the net and tying the game at 1-1 at the 4:48 mark of the second period.
With the game still knotted at 1-1 heading into the third period, Colorado forward Erik Condra would drive the net in pursuit of a rebound and the effort would prove valuable as the puck bounced off of Condra on top of the crease and fell into the net to put the Eagles back on top, 2-1 just 37 seconds into the final frame.
As time ticked down in regulation, a late power play for the Admirals would set up forward Freddy Gaudreau to snare a rebound in the slot and fire a shot past Werner to tie the game at 2-2 with 2:24 left to play in the contest.
For a second-straight night 60 minutes would not be enough to determine a winner and the game would head to sudden-death overtime. Just 45 seconds into the extra session, O'Connor would grab the puck in his own zone and race down the left wing before cutting to the low slot and throwing a shot on net. The initial try would be kicked away by Milwaukee goaltender Connor Ingram, but O'Connor would collect his own rebound and lift it into the back of the net to give Colorado the 3-2 victory.
Milwaukee outshot the Eagles, 36-35, as Colorado and the Admirals both finished the night going 1-for-4 on the power play.
Colorado returns to action when the Eagles host the San Jose Barracuda at the Budweiser Events Center on Friday, October 25th at 7:00pm MT.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.