Wolves Fall in Overtime
ROSEMONT, Illinois - Tyler Sikura scored on a breakaway at 4:48 of overtime to give the Rockford IceHogs a 3-2 Illinois Lottery Cup victory over the Chicago Wolves on Saturday night at Allstate Arena.
Forwards Lucas Elvenes and Curtis McKenzie scored for the Wolves (1-3-1-0) while Garret Sparks made 36 saves, including several of the spectacular variety.
The IceHogs' game-winning goal occurred shortly after the Wolves turned over the puck in the offensive zone, which enabled Sikura to take off ahead of the pack.
"We're a young team," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "I thought we made young mistakes when there was some pressure there. We had some good moments. We made some good plays, too. Our game's just not tight enough right now, which is normal this time of the year."
Rockford (2-3-0-0) broke on top with Tyler Sikura's goal at the 12:22 mark of the first. Sparks rejected Sikura's blast from the left circle during a 3-on-2 rush. The rebound thumped off Sparks' pads, hit a Wolves defenseman and reversed direction into the net.
The Wolves pulled even at 15:04 when rookie defenseman Brayden Pachal found Elvenes open as he raced through the right circle. Elvenes' pinpoint shot eluded goaltender Matt Tomkins for his third goal of the year.
Rockford regained the lead 4:50 into the third period when defenseman Philip Holm, who helped the Wolves win the 2018 Central Division crown, collected a Aleksi Saarela pass in the left circle and wristed a shot top-shelf.
The Wolves answered again as McKenzie produced a power-play goal with 3:54 left in regulation. McKenzie was rushing through the right circle when he tried to backhand a pass across the crease to teammate Nicolas Roy. An IceHogs defender went to the ice to smother the pass, but he redirected the puck through Tomkins' legs to make it 2-2.
Tomkins (1-0-0) made 31 saves in his first game of the season.
The Wolves host the Milwaukee Admirals at 3 p.m. on Little Debbie Sunday, which features a free Brookfield Zoo admission pass for the first 1,000 kids. To get the best deals on tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.