Sens Stumble at Home to Providence
For the second straight night, the second period doomed the Belleville Senators in a 7-4 loss to the Providence Bruins at CAA Arena.
Belleville's Filip Gustavsson stopped 16 shots, before Marcus Hogberg stopped four shots in relief, while Josh Norris, Logan Brown, Drake Batherson and Michael Carcone scored. Providence's Oskar Steen, Jakub Lauko, Robert Lantosi, Cameron Hughes, Peter Cehlarik, Jack Studnicka and Paul Carey had goals while Kyle Keyser stopped 21 shots in his AHL debut.
After Belleville were penalized for too many men on the ice, the visitors grabbed a 1-0 lead at 2:37 through Steen who received the puck down low and shuffled across the crease to beat Gustavsson. It was 2-0 13 seconds later as on a pass by Wiley Sherman from behind the net found Lauko out front who buried his second of the season.
The Senators kept their composure and finally broke the power play goose egg as Norris hammered home his first career professional goal on a one-timer at 8:43 off a Max Lajoie pass.
The power play would strike again at 10:58 as Brown grabbed his third of the campaign as he fired a shot up past Keyser to tie the game at 2-2.
Providence nearly had the lead again as Gustavsson played the puck behind the net, slipped, but somehow recovered to get back in time to deny Jack Studnicka who had. a wide open net in front of him.
For the second straight night though, the game fell apart for the Sens in the middle stanza as the Bruins scored three times. Lantosi restored the Providence lead 2:05 into the period as after Gustavsson poke-checked the puck off of a faceoff, Lantosi wacked the puck home for his first.
It was 4-2 at 10:22 as Hughes also buried his first of the campaign before Cehlarik ended Gustavsson's night on a partial breakaway with 3:58 left in the frame.
The Bruins made it 6-2 through Studnicka with a re-direct in front 1:26 into the third but Batherson got that goal back with the Sens' third power play goal of the night on a neat backhander in-close. The Sens cut the deficit to 6-4 with another power play goal as Carcone wired a slap shot past Keyser with 12:39 to play that saw Max Veronneau grab an assist, his first AHL point.
Former Sens forward Carey made it 7-4 Providence with 3:45 left on a big deflection out front.
The Senators hit the ice again Wednesday when they host the Laval Rocket for the first time this season. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.