Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson
Game #5 - San Antonio (3-0-1-1) at Tucson (3-1-0-0)
7 PM MST, Tucson Arena - Tucson, AZ
LISTEN LIVE Fox Sports 1450, iHeart Radio app
WATCH LIVE AHL TV
Roadrunners Current Roster: Click here
Referees: Mason Riley (#79), Brandon Schrader (#46)
Linesmen: Colin Besch (#58), Rob Fay (#32)
Well last night was fun, wasn't it?
The team didn't get the fast start we had referenced in yesterday's preview and still managed to earn a win in a game in which they were somewhat-heavily outshot and were scored on first.
The answers were there though and along with the play of goaltender Adin Hill, the two combined to equal a chance at winning, one that was capped by a chancy move of his own from Andy Miele in overtime.
So now what? How does tonight go? It's almost certain tonight will be the aspired contest fans look for when coming to Tucson Arena.
1) The bubble didn't pop last night but the physicality between the two sides started to show it's colors as the game wore on. From 5-foot-9 Andy Miele going toe-to-toe with 6-foot-3, 210-pound Jake Dotchin in the neutral zone during the second period to the several dust-up's in each respective crease, it just feels like things could get dicey tonight. These are two teams with a lot of compete and both that want to be tough to play against.
2) Often times when the two sides combine for seven goals, goaltending isn't the first facet looked at in a positive manor. However, last night it was another Ville Husso vs. Adin Hill matchup at Tucson Arena that provided a consistent workload of saves for the two. A bevy of two-on-one's for Tucson, primarily during the late first period, Husso, like Hill, made some crucial stops to keep the game scoreless through one. With that being said, at least from the Tucson side, 42 shots against is quite the night for Hill. Back-to-back's are tough, might it be time for Ivan Prosvetov's pro debut?
3) After mentioning how fast starts were so pivotal to the team's wins in Texas and Ontario yesterday, Tucson goes out and takes four first period penalties last night. Including two by Brayden Burke, the Roadrunners nearly shot themselves in the foot from the get-go last night. The consensus if you just can't give a team like San Antonio six cracks on the man advantage. That'll have to be amended tonight from the home side.
What's The Word?
Roadrunners forward Kevin Hancock on making his AHL debut last night...
"I was really excited, obviously, getting my first pro game under my belt. It was a great atmosphere here for the home opener, I couldn't have asked for a better first."
Roadrunners forward Kevin Hancock on the team's play last night...
"I thought we did alright, we got into some penalty trouble, which gave them some momentum. We did a great job on the penalty kill, we were blocking shots and getting them out when we needed them."
Roadrunners forward Kevin Hancock on the message going into round two...
"They have a good power play over there and they can kill teams. Staying out of the box is going to be huge for us tonight."
Number to Know
2. Only two players, Reid Boucher of Utica and Stefan Noesen of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton have more goals than Lane Pederson this season amongst all AHL skaters. While last Saturday's hat trick in Ontario was grand, Pederson's power play marker, the first of which San Antonio allowed all season, was a nice way to kick off the home ice scoring.
We're Doing It Live
Catch tonight's active LIVE on AHLTV or join Roadrunners play-by-play voice Adrian Denny on Fox Sports 1450 AM Tucson as he calls the game from the Roadrunners' flagship radio station, where coverage begins at 6:45 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Rocket's Three-Game Win Strea K Snapped by Hard-Fought 4-2 Loss to the Hershey Bears - Laval Rocket
- Post Game Notes: Stars vs. Griffins - Texas Stars
- Wolves Fall in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Blow Past Crunch, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Fight Back to Earn Point in Fourth Straight Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Fall to Eagles in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Fall to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Anas Makes History in 4-2 Win for Iowa - Iowa Wild
- DiGiuseppe Brings Quick End to OT, Completes Wolf Pack Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Dominate Americans for Fifth-Straight Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Relentless Bears Edge Rocket, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibbons, Priskie Notch Four Points Each in 7-3 Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- O'Connor Lifts Colorado to OT Win in Penalty-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Stumble at Home to Providence - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Outlast Phantoms in See-Saw Shootout Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Rallies past Devils in OT - Binghamton Devils
- Grundstrom Leads Reign to Matinee Victory - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Monsters Fall Short in 2-0 Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Recall Bardreau - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 5 Preview: San Antonio at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Host Monsters in Doubleheader Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Recall Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Take on Condors in Saturday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Country and Western Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenin, Salomaki Recalled, Carr Assigned to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gabriel Dumont from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 19 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Murray Hits 50 Point Plateau But Strives for Much More - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Defenseman Martin Fehervary Returns to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Battle for Point in OT Loss to Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Recall Jalen Smereck from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red-Hot Wild Deal Moose a Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Spoils Gulls' Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Earn Blowout Win at San Diego - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.