Evan Cormier Stops 31 in 4-1 Loss to Penguins
WILKES-BARRE - Evan Cormier made 31 saves for the Binghamton Devils in a 4-1 loss to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Saturday night inside Mohegan Sun Arena.
After no scoring in the first period, Nick Schilkey broke the ice to give the Penguins a 1-0 lead. Jonathan Gruden got turned around in front of the net and sent the puck to Schilkey who beat goaltender Evan Cormier. The goal was Schilkey's sixth of the year with assists from Gruden and Billy Sweezey at 8:24 of the second period. The Penguins took the one-goal lead into the third period and had a 19-13 shot advantage.
The Penguins added to the lead at 9:43 of the third period on the power play as Schilkey put home his second of the game. From the bottom of the right circle, Schilkey snapped in his seventh of the year for a 2-0 lead. Assists were credited to Justin Almeida and Jonathan Gruden.
Anthony Angello gave the Penguins a 3-0 lead at 12:16 of the third period. Angello pushed the puck down the right side of the ice and sent a low wrist shot by Cormier for his sixth of the year and was unassisted.
Graeme Clarke broke up the shutout bid by scoring his seventh of the year late in regulation. Clarke took the puck down the right side on an odd-man rush and sent a shot off the post and in. The lone assist went to Travis St. Denis at 17:55 and the Devils trailed 3-1.
In the end, Jonathan Gruden scored into an empty net and the Penguins sealed a 4-1 victory. Cormier stopped 31 shots in the loss while Tommy Nappier denied 22 in the win.
The Devils return to the ice Wednesday, May 12 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at 7 p.m. inside Prudential Center.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils forward Alexander Holtz vs. the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Win Vaults Gulls to Top of AHL - San Diego Gulls
- Roadrunners Avenge Loss In Series Opener - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Sweep Weekend with Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Miffed by Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Defeat Comets, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Dea Lifts Amerks to 4-3 Shootout Win over Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Gain Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Lose Final Syracuse Road Game against Crunch, 4-2 - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Fall in Seesaw Battle with Silver Knights 5-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Fall 5-4 to Moose in Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- Penguins Delight Fans in Home Finale with 4-1 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Moose Handle Marlies in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Evan Cormier Stops 31 in 4-1 Loss to Penguins - Binghamton Devils
- Copley Holds off Phantoms' Attack 3-0 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Copley Gets 100th AHL Win, Moulson Scores 700th Pro Point in 3-0 Victory - Hershey Bears
- Silver Knights Shine in First Game at T-Mobile Arena, Win 5-3 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Game #33 Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Condors and Gulls Live on 23ABC Tonight at 5 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Reassign Defenseman Gavin Bayreuther to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 4 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Gulls Foiled by Ontario, 7-4 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Best Gulls, 7-4 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.