Caamano Earns Stars Nomination for AHL Man of the Year
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, are proud to nominate Nicholas Caamano as their representative for the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Central Texas community during the 2018-19 season. Having participated in the most community events of any other player on the team, he has embraced the Austin community as his home.
The Ancaster, Ontario native was a leading part of the Stars outreach this year. Caamano volunteered at the Central Texas Food Bank, worked with organizations like Special Olympics and Texas Humane Heroes, and also visited multiple central Texas elementary schools through the Stars flagship Science of Hockey program.
In November, the 20-year old rookie took time out of the Thanksgiving season to help sort food at the Central Texas Food Bank. Caamano helped sort non-perishable items for local families and smaller food pantries in the area. He, along with two other Stars players and the Stars mascot, Ringo the Ringtail, volunteered with more than 20 other businesses and local civic groups separating, sorting, and boxing donated items for the community.
Just after the New Year, Caamano spoke with a group of Special Olympics Texas athletes. Caamano spent the morning in a Q&A session with a group of about twenty athletes followed by more than an hour of ball hockey on the ice at H-E-B Center. Inspired by the visit, Caamano has expressed interest in strengthening his relationship with Special Olympics Texas throughout his tenure with the Stars.
"Those guys are the best. I had so much fun working with them at the arena and just having the opportunity to meet them was amazing," said Caamano. "If I can get the opportunity to go and visit them or have them back here at the arena either this season or next season, I would be all for it. They are really an inspiration to us in the locker room and just being around them makes my day."
In addition to his individual contributions to the community, Caamano also participated in all of the team events held throughout the season. Events such as the annual Bowling with the Stars, postgame meet and greet sessions with fans, and specialty jersey auctions benefitting area nonprofits.
Caamano's Pink in the Rink game-worn specialty jersey raised more than $1000 making his jersey the highest earning of all 26 jerseys. Pink in the Rink weekend went on to raise more than $20,000 for the Texas Stars Foundation and its benefitting partner, Breast Cancer Resource Center of central Austin.
This season, Caamano has embodied what it means to be a community advocate and volunteer. He has shown that his career is about more than just his hockey statistics, but also about becoming a member of the community and helping whenever and wherever he can. The Texas Stars are honored to call him our IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year.
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and return home on April 5th and 6th to face the Rockford IceHogs at 7:00 p.m. for Military Appreciation Weekend at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park. Ticket packages for the 2019-20 campaign are on sale now. For more information or to renew your seats, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visitTexasStars.com.
Images from this story
Nicholas Caamano of the Texas Stars
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2019
- Admirals Top Rampage for Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cleveland Monsters Blank Rocket 5-0 - Laval Rocket
- Condors Stumble Late in 3-2 Loss to Manitoba - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Start Road Trip with 5-0 Win over Laval Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Early Struggles Hinder Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Phantoms Conclude Five-Game Road-Trip - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lowry's Quick Start Springboards T-Birds Past Wolf Pack - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Throttle Phantoms 6-2 to Stay Hot - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators Shutout by Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Blank Senators, 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Aidan Dudas Joins Reign on ATO - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Insider: Taking the Central - Chicago Wolves
- Game #64 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Penguins Sign Jon Lizotte to ATO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sabres Assign Borgen to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 26 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Sign Gruden to ATO for Remainder of Season - Belleville Senators
- Ivan Chekhovich Assigned to Barracuda - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds Sign F Adam Rockwood to One-Year AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Forward Landon Ferraro Named Iowa Wild's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Matt Taormina Named Heat 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Stockton Heat
- Alex Belzile Named Laval Rocket's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Laval Rocket
- Syracuse Crunch Knockout Poker Tournament at Turning Stone Resort Casino Set for April 10 - Syracuse Crunch
- Leier Named Belleville's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Belleville Senators
- Chris Breen Named P-Bruins 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Providence Bruins
- Alex Lyon Named Lehigh Valley's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tyler Wong Named Chicago Wolves' 2018-19 AHL Man of the Year - Chicago Wolves
- Mermis Named Roadrunners 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Tucson Roadrunners
- Doyle Somerby Named Cleveland Monsters 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Cleveland Monsters
- Zack Stortini Named Checkers 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Charlotte Checkers
- Peter Stoykewych Named Moose 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Manitoba Moose
- Beck Malenstyn Named Hershey Bears 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hershey Bears
- McCollum Named Admirals IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Milwaukee Admirals
- Tristan Jarry Named Penguins' Winner of IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Brett Sutter Named Reign's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Ontario Reign
- Holmstrom Named Bridgeport's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lowe Named Condors 2018-19 Ioa/Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Bakersfield Condors
- Nathan Paetsch Named Amerks 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rochester Americans
- Chris Terry Named Griffins' 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Syracuse Crunch
- Mason Geertsen Named Colorado Eagles 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Colorado Eagles
- John Gilmour Named Wolf Pack's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sam Carrick Named San Diego Gulls 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Diego Gulls
- Caamano Earns Stars Nomination for AHL Man of the Year - Texas Stars
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Bobby Farnham Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 2018-19 American Hockey League Man of the Year Team Winners Named - AHL
- Jaime Sifers Names Utica Comets' 2019-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Utica Comets
- Bibeau Named Barracuda 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Jose Barracuda
- Powell Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Rochester Americans
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Senators Recall Racine from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Thunderbirds Sign F Liam Pecararo, D Dylan Macpherson to ATOs - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flames Recall Dube on Emergency Basis - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Recall Defenseman Zach Frye - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Sign Declan Chisholm - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Crunch, April 3 - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Edge Bakersfield, 3-1, in First of Back-to-Back - Manitoba Moose
- Roadrunners Score and Survive to Beat Iowa 5-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa's Comeback Falls Short in 5-4 Defeat to Tucson - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.