Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch are proud to announce that Daniel Walcott has been named the team's winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Syracuse community during the 2018-19 season.
Throughout the season, Walcott has worked to become a socially informed and active member of the Syracuse community. Walcott suffered an injury during a Tampa Bay Lightning preseason game and spent six months rehabbing with the team before returning to the ice on March 23. While unable to skate or play in games, he focused completely on becoming a leader and mentor within the Syracuse community. Throughout his four years in Syracuse, Walcott has adopted a sense of social responsibility and his outreach has extended beyond hockey.
This season, Walcott worked with PEACE, Inc. to become a member of the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program. After a rigorous background check and interview process, Walcott was matched with his little, Jeremiah. Since being matched, Walcott and Jeremiah and done numerous activities with each other around Syracuse, including bowling and attending Crunch games.
Being a mentor within the Big Brothers Big Sisters program means making a large time commitment and becoming responsible for a young member of the Syracuse community. In addition to activities, Walcott has built a relationship with Jeremiah as a role model. He helps Jeremiah with his homework and is in contact with Jeremiah's mother to help him with in-school behavior and responsibilities.
While unable to skate and working on a different schedule from his teammates, Walcott worked to maintain a strong relationship with both his team and the fan base. He continued to be a leader in the team's efforts to raise money and support the greater Syracuse community. During the holiday season, Walcott joined his teammates in decorating ornaments that were sold during a December game to support the team's Change for Change campaign benefitting Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital. He has also participated in celebrity bartending to raise money for the Salvation Army's Hope for the Holidays.
During his time in Syracuse, Walcott has built relationships with a number of fans and corporate partners. He has spent his time at different schools, organizations and community centers. He continued the annual visit to Canton Woods Senior Center to spend an afternoon playing pool and shuffleboard with recreation members. He also visited French Clubs and local high schools to speak to the students about being bilingual and cultural diversity, while encouraging their study of another language.
Walcott's positive energy and willingness to interact with the fans makes him a favorite in Syracuse. Not only does he consistently volunteer to participate in team events, he motivates his teammates to do the same. He worked with the front office this season to ensure he is in tune with community needs and put his increased available time to good service. His involvement with the community and fans make him a great role model on the team and a positive representative of the Syracuse Crunch organization.
This is Walcott second consecutive season as Syracuse's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year.
Walcott is now one of 31 finalists for the AHL's 2018-19 Yanick Dupre Memorial Award, honoring the overall IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year. The league award is named after the former Hershey Bears forward and AHL All-Star who died in 1997 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. The winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award will be announced by the American Hockey League at a later date.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2019
- Admirals Top Rampage for Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cleveland Monsters Blank Rocket 5-0 - Laval Rocket
- Condors Stumble Late in 3-2 Loss to Manitoba - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Start Road Trip with 5-0 Win over Laval Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Early Struggles Hinder Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Phantoms Conclude Five-Game Road-Trip - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lowry's Quick Start Springboards T-Birds Past Wolf Pack - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Throttle Phantoms 6-2 to Stay Hot - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators Shutout by Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Blank Senators, 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Aidan Dudas Joins Reign on ATO - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Insider: Taking the Central - Chicago Wolves
- Game #64 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Penguins Sign Jon Lizotte to ATO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sabres Assign Borgen to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 26 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Sign Gruden to ATO for Remainder of Season - Belleville Senators
- Ivan Chekhovich Assigned to Barracuda - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds Sign F Adam Rockwood to One-Year AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Forward Landon Ferraro Named Iowa Wild's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Matt Taormina Named Heat 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Stockton Heat
- Alex Belzile Named Laval Rocket's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Laval Rocket
- Syracuse Crunch Knockout Poker Tournament at Turning Stone Resort Casino Set for April 10 - Syracuse Crunch
- Leier Named Belleville's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Belleville Senators
- Chris Breen Named P-Bruins 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Providence Bruins
- Alex Lyon Named Lehigh Valley's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tyler Wong Named Chicago Wolves' 2018-19 AHL Man of the Year - Chicago Wolves
- Mermis Named Roadrunners 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Tucson Roadrunners
- Doyle Somerby Named Cleveland Monsters 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Cleveland Monsters
- Zack Stortini Named Checkers 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Charlotte Checkers
- Peter Stoykewych Named Moose 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Manitoba Moose
- Beck Malenstyn Named Hershey Bears 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hershey Bears
- McCollum Named Admirals IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Milwaukee Admirals
- Tristan Jarry Named Penguins' Winner of IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Brett Sutter Named Reign's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Ontario Reign
- Holmstrom Named Bridgeport's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lowe Named Condors 2018-19 Ioa/Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Bakersfield Condors
- Nathan Paetsch Named Amerks 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rochester Americans
- Chris Terry Named Griffins' 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Syracuse Crunch
- Mason Geertsen Named Colorado Eagles 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Colorado Eagles
- John Gilmour Named Wolf Pack's 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sam Carrick Named San Diego Gulls 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Diego Gulls
- Caamano Earns Stars Nomination for AHL Man of the Year - Texas Stars
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Bobby Farnham Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 2018-19 American Hockey League Man of the Year Team Winners Named - AHL
- Jaime Sifers Names Utica Comets' 2019-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Utica Comets
- Bibeau Named Barracuda 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Jose Barracuda
- Powell Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Rochester Americans
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Senators Recall Racine from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Thunderbirds Sign F Liam Pecararo, D Dylan Macpherson to ATOs - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flames Recall Dube on Emergency Basis - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Recall Defenseman Zach Frye - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Sign Declan Chisholm - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Crunch, April 3 - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Edge Bakersfield, 3-1, in First of Back-to-Back - Manitoba Moose
- Roadrunners Score and Survive to Beat Iowa 5-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa's Comeback Falls Short in 5-4 Defeat to Tucson - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.