Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win
ROSEMONT, ILL. - Iowa Wild (9-3-2-1; 21 pts.) earned back to back shutouts for the first time since Nov. 14-16, 2018 as the team blanked the Chicago Wolves (7-9-1-0; 15 pts.) by a score of 3-0 Saturday evening.
Iowa took a 1-0 lead at 9:58 in the first period as forward Dmitry Sokolov netted his first goal of the season. Forward Kyle Bauman skated into the slot and fought off defenders before dishing a pass to Sokolov at the far post. Sokolov tapped the feed past the outstretched pad of goaltender Garret Sparks (29 saves) for the tally. Defenseman Josh Atkinson earned the secondary assist.
Through the first 20 minutes of play, Iowa led 1-0 and the Wild owned a 16-8 shot advantage.
Bauman and Sokolov connected once again in the second period to give the Wild a 2-0 lead. Bauman carved behind the net before tossing the puck out in front for Sokolov. He caught the pass in the slot and rifled the puck into the top right corner of the net for the goal, coming at 8:44 in the middle frame. Forward Kyle Rau was credited with the secondary assist on the tally, which gave Sokolov is first multi-goal contest since Dec. 8, 2018.
Heading into the third period, Iowa led 2-0 and had a 28-12 shot advantage.
Defenseman Keaton Thompson scored his first goal in a Wild sweater as he extended Iowa's lead to 3-0 at 4:37 in the third period. Chicago attempted to clear the puck from their defensive zone, but Thompson intercepted the puck at the blueline and one-timed it on net. His shot knuckled past Sparks for the tally, his first goal since March 30, 2018. Atkinson recorded his second assist of the game on the play, the first multi-point game of his career.
Wild netminder Kaapo Kahkonen (22 saves) kept Chicago off the board for the rest of the period and at the final buzzer, the Wild skated away with the 3-0 victory. As a team, the Wild pushed its shutout streak to 122:32 and it was the first time in team history the team earned a regular season shutout against the Wolves.
Iowa outshot the Wolves 32-22 in the 3-0 win. The Wild went 0-for-4 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
These two teams will rematch Sunday evening at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.