Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears and Washington Capitals announced multiple transactions today. The Capitals have assigned defenseman Tyler Lewington and goaltender Ilya Samsonov to the Bears. Additionally, the Capitals have recalled forward Travis Boyd and goaltender Vitek Vanecek from Hershey. The announcements were made by Washington's senior vice president and general manager, Brian MacLellan.
Lewington, 24, returns to the Bears after skating for Washington in last night's 5-2 loss to Montreal. In total, Lewington has appeared in six games with the Capitals this season, registering 17 penalty minutes. He made his Hershey season debut on Wednesday at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton ahead of his recall to Washington. The defenseman recorded 15 points (three goals, 12 assists) in 65 games with Hershey in 2018-19 and collected 121 penalty minutes. In 241 career AHL games with the Bears, Lewington has posted 49 points (12 goals, 37 assists) and 501 penalty minutes.
Samsonov, 22, is 5-2-1 with the Capitals this season with a 2.65 goals against average and a .912 save percentage. Last season with the Bears, Samsonov had a record of 20-14-5 with a 2.70 goals against average and a .898 save percentage. He helped Hershey to a playoff series victory over Bridgeport, including making 29 saves in the decisive Game 5 win.
Boyd, 26, returns to Washington after playing in one game with Hershey during his latest re-assignment. He has six points (four goals, two assists) in four games with the Bears this season. With Washington, he has recorded four assists in six games this year. The 6-foot, 190-pound forward has collected 25 points (five goals, 20 assists) in 67 career games with the Capitals.
Vanecek, 23, is 4-2-1 with Hershey this season with a 2.65 goals against average and a .894 save percentage. Last season with Hershey, Vanecek posted a record of 21-10-6 with a 2.62 goals against average and a .907 save percentage in 38 games. He was named to the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic and was named the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 21, 2018.
The Bears host the Charlotte Checkers this evening at 7 p.m. at Giant Center. It's Hockey Fights Cancer Night. The Bears will be wearing special jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game to benefit the American Cancer Society and Hospice of Central PA. Additionally, the first 6,000 fans will receive fuzzy socks tonight, courtesy of Penn State Health. Ticket information is available at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Announce Ticket Information, Key Promotional Dates for 2021-22 Season
- Bears Sign Goaltender Ryan Bednard to AHL Contract
- Bears Sign Defenseman Jordan Subban to AHL Contract
- Scott Allen Named Head Coach of Hershey Bears, Steve Bergin Hired as Assistant Coach
- Bears Sign Forward Yanick Turcotte to AHL Contract