Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins defeated the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 2-1, on Saturday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza to win their fifth game in a row.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (10-5-1-1) received a goal from its captain, David Warsofsky, early in the third period and then turned to former Phantom Dustin Tokarski to lock things down from there.
The Penguins raced out to a hot start, generating the first four shots of the game, all from dangerous scoring areas. After Alex Lyon turned in four excellent saves, the Phantoms flipped things in their favor and rattled off 12 consecutive shots on goal. Tokarski kept the game at 0-0 until Wilkes-Barre/Scranton earned a late first-period power play. That man advantage opened the door for Sam Miletic to kick off the scoring, collecting a rebound off of Lyon's pads and throw it to the back of the net with 1:05 left in the period.
Lehigh Valley tied up the score just 55 seconds into the middle frame. Much like Miletic, Mikhail Vorobyev used a rebound to light the lamp and even the game at 1-1.
Early in the third period, Miletic and Stefan Noesen combined to force a turnover behind the Phantoms net and set up Warsofsky for a slap shot. The captain's bid beat Lyon to the short-side and put the Penguins back in the lead just 1:29 into the final frame of regulation.
Tokarski proceeded to stop 10 Phantoms shots in the third period, including a lunging back-door denial of German Rubtsov during a Lehigh Valley power play. Tokarski secured the win with 31 saves overall on the night.
Lyon made 23 saves for the Phantoms.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Friday, Nov. 22, as the team travels back to MassMutual Center for another meeting with the Springfield Thunderbirds. The Penguins next home game is Saturday, Nov. 23 against the Charlotte Checkers. Puck drop between the Penguins and Checkers is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Stumble in Third Period, Lose to Bruins, 5-1
- Penguins' Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to Checkers
- Penguins Preview: November 24, 2021
- Hållander, Penguins Deck Checkers in Overtime, 3-2
- Penguins Weekly