Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch rallied past the Cleveland Monsters, 4-2, tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
The Monsters took two different one-goal leads through the first half of the game before the Crunch went on a run tallying three unanswered goals. The win snaps a two-game skid and moves the Crunch to 8-6-2-0 on the season and 3-0-0-0 in the four-game season series against the Monsters.
Goaltender Scott Wedgewood earned the win with 22 saves between the pipes for the Crunch. Veini Vehvilainen turned aside 22-of-25 in net for the Monsters. Syracuse was unable to convert on four power play opportunities, but went a perfect 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
Cleveland was first on the board 8:07 into the opening frame when Andrew Peeke fired a wrister through traffic from the right point. Calvin Thurkauf and Paul Bittner tallied the assists.
Four minutes later, Syracuse evened the score. After Danick Martel's first shot from the left circle went wide, Ben Thomas grabbed the loose puck as it came up the right-wing boards and sent it back on net. Luke Witkowski shoveled that rebound back to Martel for a second chance that snuck past Vehvilainen.
The Monsters went back on top with 5:49 remaining in the first period. Marko Dano centered the puck for Adam Clendening as he cut down the slot during a 2-on-1 and beat Wedgewood top shelf. Nathan Gerbe recorded a point on the go-ahead goal.
The Crunch scored twice in the middle stanza to take control of the game. At the 13:43 mark, Cory Conacher battled along the end boards and skated behind the cage before chipping it out front for Dennis Yan to send home. Chris Mueller assisted on the equalizer. Two minutes later, the Crunch went on top. Alex Volkov fed Luke Witkowski in the neutral zone. He sped down the right wing and threw a shot from the bottom of the circle that went five-hole. Cameron Gaunce recorded the secondary assist.
Conacher netted an empty-netter with five seconds remaining in the game to secure a 4-2 victory.
The Crunch are back in action when they travel to face the Hartford Wolf Pack on Wednesday at 11 a.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Luke Witkowski scored his first goal with the Crunch since March 11, 2016 when he potted two against Bridgeport...Cameron Gaunce is on a four-game scoring streak (1g, 3a). He leads all defensemen with 13 assists.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Crunch Partner with Upstate Shredding - Weitsman Recycling to Present Weitsman's Heroes
- Gemel Smith Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Crunch Win over Bruins
- Crunch Weekly
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forwards Cory Conacher, Mitchell Stephens from Syracuse Crunch