Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1
HERSHEY, PA - The goalies took center stage for the second night in a row in Hershey, but it was the Bears who squeaked out a win over Charlotte in Saturday's matchup.
Anton Forsberg put on a show in the first two periods, but the home side finally broke through on a controversial play late in the middle frame. Forsberg appeared to have the puck under his outstretched leg, but a charging Hershey player jammed his stick under to punch it past the goal line. The goaltender and his coach argued their case but to no avail, and the Bears took a 1-0 lead into the second intermission.
Forsberg's stellar play continued throughout regulation, as he finished the night with 35 saves, and a Max McCormick power-play tally midway through the third evened things up for a game seemingly destined for overtime. That wouldn't happen, however, as Mike Sgarbossa was able to thread home a wrist shot on a Hershey man advantage with under seven to go and push the home team back ahead.
The Checkers' rally attempt couldn't gain steam, with the visitors logging just four goals in the third period and 18 throughout regulation, and Hershey escaped from the contest with two points in hand.
Tonight snapped a three-game point streak for the Checkers, their longest this season ... It also snapped a five-game winning streak against the Bears, including the playoffs ... Anton Forsberg's 35 saves are a season-high for him ... The 18 shots on goals were the fewest by the Checkers this season ... Max McCormick extended his point streak to three games ... Clark Bishop marked an assist for the second straight game ... The Checkers had killed 24 consecutive penalties until Hershey's game-winning goal in the third period ... Stelio Mattheos missed the game due to injury ... Anthony Louis, Brian Gibbons, Cedric Lacroix, Kyle Wood and Derek Sheppard were healthy extras
The Checkers' extended road trip continues Wednesday when they travel to Lehigh Valley for the first time this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Tracking Panthers Prospects and Former Checkers as Hockey Season Begins
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton