Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies
TORONTO, Ontario - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, lost an 8-4 game to the Toronto Marlies on Saturday evening in the first of two weekend matchups with the Marlies. Toronto winger Kenny Agostino earned his second career hat trick in the contest and helped power a six goal second period by the Marlies.
In the first regular season matchup since 2015, the Marlies hit the ground running at the Coca Cola Coliseum. The team capitalized on their first power play chance of the game, scoring less than five minutes into the night. It was the first of three in the game for Agostino on a deflection at the top of the crease and opened the scoring. Three minutes later, at the end of the Marlies second power play, Pierre Engvall capitalized on a chance to make it 2-0.
Texas got a chance on of their own the power play, just a few seconds after it expired Emil Djuse fired a shot towards the front of the net and Michael Mersch cleaned up the rebound to cut the deficit to one. Toronto had no shortage of shots on net in the period, forcing Landon Bow to make 20 saves in the opening frame.
At the start of the second period, Mersch capped off a great shift in front of the net and redirected his second goal of the game past goaltender Joseph Woll. The goal came less than three minutes into the period to tie the game for Texas at 2-2.
However, Toronto would go on to record six goals in the middle frame, scoring five within an eight minute span. Less than thirty seconds after the Stars tied the game, Nicholas Baptiste scored on a 2-on-1 from the right circle and added another less than two minutes later from the opposite circle on a shorthanded rush. Agostino would go on to score two more goals in the frame at 6:37 and 10:17 to seal the hat trick. Tanner MacMaster put the finishing touches on the stretch, netting his third of the season at 10:18. Jake Oettinger would come in for relief and stop 6 of 7 shots, surrendering a final goal to Engvall. Bow's night ended with 21 saves on 28 shots and Oettinger stopped a total of 16 shots in 31 minutes of work.
Texas scored quickly in the third period, netting a goal at the 4:58 mark. Ben Gleason spun a shot from the right corner that went off a skate and in. Less than a minute later Joel L'Esperance scored on a deflection. The extra goals wouldn't change the result, dealing Texas its 10th consecutive defeat.
Toronto converted on 1 of 5 power play chances while Texas failed to cash in on its two opportunities. Bow was saddled with the loss while Joseph Woll earned the win, stopping 25 of 29 shots.
The Stars face off against the Marlies again on Sunday, Nov. 17 at 4 p.m. ET at Coca-Cola Coliseum.
3 STARS OF THE GAME presented by Xerox Business Solutions Southwest
Kenny Agostino (TOR) Nicholas Baptiste (TOR) Pierre Engvall (TOR)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars . Full-season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2019-20 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
Images from this story
Texas Stars bench
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.