Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win
STOCKTON, Calif. - Ryan Lomberg found a streaking Justin Kirkland on the far post with just 17 ticks remaining to break a third period tie for a dramatic 3-2 win over San Jose Saturday night at Stockton Arena. The goal capped a third period rally that saw Stockton turn a 2-1 deficit into a divisional win, the Heat scoring twice in the game's final 11 minutes to steal two points. Stockton had the early upper hand, Ryan Lomberg lighting the lamp just 1:03 into the action, but San Jose responded with two scores before the first intermission. After a scoreless second, the game went into the third with the Heat needing to score, and the home team tied it with 11 minutes left as Luke Philp found twine on the man-advantage and set the stage for Kirkland's game-winner. The Heat are now 2-0 on the year against San Jose and will hit the road for an extended trip prior to returning to Stockton Arena on December 4.
W: Artyom Zagidulin (31 shots, 29 saves)
L: Andrew Shortridge (36 shots, 33 saves)
Three Stars: First - Justin Kirkland (1g), Second - Luke Philp (1g), Third - Ryan Lomberg (1g,1a)
Shots On Goal: STK - 36, SJ - 31
Power Plays: STK - 1-3, SJ - 0-3
- Ryan Lomberg's goal 1:03 into the first period was the fastest to start the game for Stockton this season, besting Matthew Phillips at 2:59 into the first on Oct. 19. The Heat are now 5-0 on the year when Lomberg scores.
- All three of Luke Philp's goals this season have come in the third period.
- Justin Kirkland scored the game-winning goal with just 17 seconds remaining in the game, the second one-goal win over San Jose this season.
- Stockton is now 6-0-0-2 on the year when scoring first.
- The Heat are 2-3-1-0 on the season when trailing after two periods.
Stockton will hit the road for the next two weeks before returning home to face off against the Ontario Reign on Wednesday, December 4. Stockton will travel to Bakersfield, San Diego, Ontario and Colorado over the road trip.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Heat Stories
- Special Teams Lead Way in Shootout Win over Tucson
- Heat Take on Tucson Saturday at Stockton Arena
- Tuulola, Ruzicka Post Multi-Point Efforts as Heat Fall to Ontario
- Heat Start Packed Home Weekend Friday against Ontario
- Philp Finishes Comeback Bid as Heat Earn OT Win