Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory
Hartford, CT, November 16, 2019 - The Hartford Wolf Pack overcame a bad start Saturday night at the XL Center, scoring the last five goals of the game in a 5-2 victory over the Providence Bruins.
The win gave the Wolf Pack five out of a possible six points in three consecutive matchups against the Bruins, after a win and a shootout loss in the first two.
The Wolf Pack fell behind by a pair early in the first frame.
Ryan Fitzgerald opened the scoring just 37 seconds in, capitalizing on a Wolf Pack turnover, and Jack Studnicka doubled the lead with a power-play goal at 5:54.
The Wolf Pack, though, would turn the tables quickly, taking just over three minutes to tie the game.
Darren Raddysh got Hartford on the board at 7:28, accelerating around the net and attempting a wraparound, and ultimately poking in his own rebound, after Providence goaltender Kyle Keyser (24 saves) made the initial stop.
"Whatever the situation is, we'll be in good shape," Raddysh said. "Both the goalies have been great for us. Hopefully we can continue what we've been doing. We're a really tight group here."
Teammate Vinni Lettieri followed up with a rocket from the top of the left circle to tie it up on the power play at 10:30.
The Wolf Pack went ahead at 6:22 of the second period, as Steven Fogarty picked the pocket of Providence defenseman on the penalty kill, and ripped it past Keyser.
"Fogarty's shorthanded goal was huge," noted Wolf Pack head coach Kris Knoblauch. "It was a turning point in the game for us. Fogarty's game really took off playing with Boo (Nieves), they both deserve a lot of credit."
"We've been able to find a way to respond when we're down," mentioned Fogarty. "[Adam] Huska gave us a chance to win, we see it every day with these two guys."
Phil Di Giuseppe scored an insurance goal at the 11:09 mark of the third period, with a blistering wrist shot from the slot.
"Di Giuseppe has really been playing well," said Knoblauch. "Hopefully he can continue that."
O'Regan capped it off with an empty-net goal with 2:46 left, to put the game out of reach.
The Wolf Pack's next action is their "Sonar's Edu-skate" school-day game this Wednesday, November 20 against the Syracuse Crunch, with faceoff at 11:00 AM. That is another chance to take advantage of the Wolf Pack's "Click It or Ticket Hat Trick Pack". The Hat Trick Pack includes two tickets, two sodas and one large popcorn, all for just $40. Also, the Wolf Pack are offering "Suit to Sweater Wednesdays" this season. Any fan showing a company ID at the Sunwave Gas & Power Ticket office can purchase Blue-Level tickets to Wolf Pack Wednesday home games for only $15 each (limit two tickets per ID).
Tickets for all 2019-20 Wolf Pack home games are on sale now at the Sunwave Gas & Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com and by phone at (877) 522-8499. Tickets purchased in advance for kids 12 or younger start at just $10 each, and all tickets will have a $3 day-of-game increase.
To speak with a Wolf Pack representative about season or group tickets, or any of the Wolf Pack's many ticketing options, call (860) 722-9425, or click here to request more info. To visit the Wolf Pack on line, go to www.hartfordwolfpack.com.
Providence Bruins 2 at Hartford Wolf Pack 5
Saturday - XL Center
Providence 2 0 0 - 2
Hartford 2 1 2 - 5
1st Period-1, Providence, Fitzgerald 5 (Gaunce), 0:37. 2, Providence, Studnicka 6 (Fitzgerald, Hughes), 5:54 (PP). 3, Hartford, Raddysh 3 (Meskanen, Di Giuseppe), 7:28. 4, Hartford, Lettieri 6 (O'Regan, Keane), 10:30 (PP). Penalties-Elmer Hfd (interference), 3:58; Zech Pro (slashing), 9:49; Lauko Pro (hooking), 10:55; Gaunce Pro (closing hand on puck), 11:36.
2nd Period-5, Hartford, Fogarty 4 6:22 (SH). Penalties-Meskanen Hfd (hooking), 1:53; Geertsen Hfd (cross-checking), 6:06; Geertsen Hfd (holding), 14:49; Zboril Pro (slashing), 19:24.
3rd Period-6, Hartford, Di Giuseppe 5 (LoVerde, Raddysh), 11:09. 7, Hartford, O'Regan 4 (Ebert), 17:14 (EN). Penalties-No Penalties
Shots on Goal-Providence 11-17-8-36. Hartford 12-6-11-29.
Power Play Opportunities-Providence 1 / 4; Hartford 1 / 4.
Goalies-Providence, Keyser 1-4-1 (28 shots-24 saves). Hartford, Huska 4-0-3 (36 shots-34 saves).
Referees-Andrew Bruggeman (22), Andrew Howard (50).
Linesmen-Brent Colby (7), Paul Simeon (66).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Condors Rally Past Eagles, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Rally in Third for Dramatic 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Blanked by Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Tame Wolves in 3-0 Win - Iowa Wild
- Primeau, Rocket Shut out Sound Tigers with a 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Sens Beaten by Admirals in First Ever Meeting - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Edge Comets for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Win Fifth in a Row, Beat Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Wrap up Road-Trip at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Pack Shrugs off Early Deficit in 5-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fight to 2-1 Win over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Monsters, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Amerks - Utica Comets
- Monsters Stalled in Syracuse, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Ads Top Sens for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Special Teams Struggle In 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Goalie Duel Goes Hershey's Way in Rematch 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport blanked by goaltender Cayden Primeau on Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Stars Fall 8-4 to Toronto Marlies - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Ruggiero from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Connauton Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch to Wear "I Fight For" Patches During Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Smith, Assign Ehn - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Open Back-To-Back against Texas - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Take on Barracuda Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Lewington and Samsonov Assigned to Bears, Boyd and Vanecek Recalled by Washington - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 16 at Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Admirals, November 16 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Swamped by Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Five in a Row, Again - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Wreck Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Falls Friday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Berdin Big again in OT Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Admirals - Laval Rocket
- Berdin Leads Moose Past Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Miska Notches 39-Save Shutout in 3-0 Blanking of Condors - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- Wolf Pack Earn Weekend Split Thanks to Late Justin Richards Goal
- Rangers Assign Five to Wolf Pack from Taxi Squad
- Wolf Pack Aim for Weekend Split against Bears
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bears in First Half of Back-To-Back Set
- Rangers Recall Greco, Reunanen to Taxi Squad, Assign Wall to Wolf Pack