Texas Ties Game Twice Late Before Winning in Shootout
BAKERSFIELD, California - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, tied the game twice late in regulation before earning a 4-3 victory in a shootout over the Bakersfield Condors on Friday night at Mechanics Bank Arena.
The Stars struck first 1:29 into the contest when Logan Stankoven extended his point streak to eight games by chipping a shot in the slot past Olivier Rodrigue following an exchange prior with Curtis McKenzie. Texas carried a 1-0 lead into the first intermission after outshooting Bakersfield 12-11.
The second stanza saw Cameron Wright slide his first career AHL goal past Remi Poirier at the 18:39 mark to tie it for Bakersfield. Tied 1-1 after 40 minutes of action, the Condors outshot the Stars, 12-10, during the middle period to carry a 23-22 lead into the second break.
In the third period, the Condors took a 2-1 lead at 2:37 when Lane Pederson finished on a give-and-go play with Drake Caggiula off a two-on-one rush. After a Condors' skater covered the puck with a glove in the crease, Stankoven was denied by Rodrigue on the ensuing penalty shot at 5:32. However, Oskar Back tied the game, 2-2, for Texas by redirecting in a point shot by Lian Bichsel with 3:12 remaining in regulation. The Condors reclaimed a 3-2 lead with 2:32 left on the clock when Caggiula took a shot that narrowly drifted across the goal line. Texas found another answer to tie it again, 3-3, which eventually forced overtime with 1:25 remaining after McKenzie swatted the puck in past Rodrigue near the net.
After extra time was not enough to determine a winner in Friday's contest, Stankoven scored in the second round of the shootout and Matej Blumel won it in the fourth by scoring to give Texas an extra tally to add to its' Central Division lead with 25 points.
Poirier picked up the win in goal for Texas to improve to 5-2-2 on the season after totaling 29 saves on 32 shots before making three stops in four rounds of a shootout. For the Condors, Rodrigue fell to 2-1-1 on the campaign by suffering the shootout loss after allowing three goals on 37 shots.
The Stars take on the Condors again on Saturday at 9:00 p.m. CST at Mechanics Bank Arena to close out the two-game series and their five-game road trip.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2023
- Reign Blanked by Firebirds - Ontario Reign
- Silver Knights Drop First of Series to Calgary, 2-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Canucks Rally Back to Defeat Laval 4-2 on Friday Night - Abbotsford Canucks
- Texas Ties Game Twice Late Before Winning in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Caggiula's Three-Point Night Helps the Condors Get a Point - Bakersfield Condors
- Chris Driedger's 28 Save Shutout Stymies Ontario - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Roadrunners Beat San Jose 5-1 to Open Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Collin Delia Records 31 Saves in Home Victory - Manitoba Moose
- Hunt's Three-Point Night Lifts Iowa to 5-1 Win at Colorado - Iowa Wild
- Point Streak Ends in Hartford - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hunt's Three-Point Night Pushes Wild to 5-1 Win Over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Burned by Roadrunners, 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Griffins End Four-Game Home Stand with 4-1 Win Over Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hogs' Point Streak Ends in Manitoba - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Top B-Sens in Shootout in Levi's Debut - Rochester Americans
- Senators Pick Up Point To Begin Back-To-Back Set With Americans - Belleville Senators
- Wolf Pack Win Fifth Straight as Special Teams Help Power Past Phantoms 7-3 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Come Back to Steal Springfield's Thunder, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Push Win Streak To Eight With 4-2 Win Over Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Double-up on Islanders, 6-3 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Penguins Push Back, Steal OT Win from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Second Period Offense Bolsters P-Bruins to Victory Over Islanders - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Defeat Marlies, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Use Fast Start to Defeat Checkers 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Lose in Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Morning Skate Report: December 1, 2023 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Panthers Assign Uvis Balinskis to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Holiday Helper Program Gets Underway Tonight - Tucson Roadrunners
- T-Birds Generate $15,000 in Donations to Rock 102 Mayflower Marathon - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Henderson Silver Knights Announce Plans for Harold's Hockey Tonk, Stanley Cup® to be Featured in Pregame Show - Henderson Silver Knights
- Game Notes: CGY at HEN - Calgary Wranglers
- Šilovs Selected as AHL Goaltender of the Month - Abbotsford Canucks
- Bourque, Stankoven, Silovs Named AHL Award Winners for November - AHL
- Stars Forwards Mavrik Bourque and Logan Stankoven Win AHL Monthly Awards - Texas Stars
- Hershey Bears Hockey Club Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2023 - Hershey Bears
- Jonatan Berggren Joins Grand Rapids, Antti Tuomisto Heads to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Preview: Condors v Stars, 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Colorado Eagles - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack and Phantoms Kickoff Weekend Back-To-Back at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Jaydon Dureau to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #19: Tucson Roadrunners vs. San Jose Barracuda - Tucson Roadrunners
- Division-Leading Monsters Look to Extend Four-Game Win Streak at Home this Weekend - Cleveland Monsters
- Hogs Look to Extend Point Streak in Winnipeg at Start of Road Trip - Rockford IceHogs
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Bruins to Begin Home-And-Home Series - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.