Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford
HARTFORD, CT - The Checkers were brought back down to Earth Friday when their six-game winning streak was snapped at the hands of the first-place Hartford Wolf Pack.
The first period was packed with action, with both offenses firing on all cylinders. After Clark Bishop opened the scoring less than three minutes in things escalated quickly, with the two sides combining for five goals within the first seven minutes of action. Morgan Geekie then capitalized on a man advantage later in the frame to draw things even heading into the first intermission.
Those offensive fireworks wouldn't carry over, however, especially for the Checkers. Charlotte would keep the pressure up throughout the remainder of regulation, but it couldn't crack Hartford netminder Adam Huska again, much to the visitors' frustration.
On the other side, the Wolf Pack were able to convert their chances when it came down to it. Danny O'Regan regained the lead for his squad with a power-play tally in the second, then Hartford broke through Charlotte netminder Anton Forsberg twice more in the third to build up some insurance as the division-leading squad coasted to the finish line with a 6-3 win.
Tonight's loss snapped a season-best six-game winning streak for Charlotte that was one shy of tying the franchise record ... Julien Gauthier extended his point streak to nine games, the longest by a Checker this season, and extended his goal streak to four games, matching the longest by a Checker this season ... Gauthier is now tied for fifth in the AHL in goals ... Clark Bishop extended his point streak to three games ... The Checkers were shorthanded seven times, the most in a game this season ... Tonight was the sixth time this season that the Checkers have allowed multiple first-period goals and the first since Dec. 13 ... Hartford's six goals are the most Charlotte has allowed since giving up eight on Oct. 18 ... Tonight was the Checkers' first loss by more than one goal since Dec. 6 ... Tonight snapped a four-game winning streak for Anton Forsberg ... Eetu Luostarinen missed the game due to illness ... Stelio Mattheos and Kerby Rychel missed the game due to injury ... Derek Sheppard and Cavan Fitzgerald were healthy extras
The Checkers wrap their lengthy road trip with a meeting in Bridgeport tomorrow at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Ride Special Teams to Win over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Shut out Moose to Begin Long Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Grosenick, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Denied by Pickard, Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Sharp-Shooting Wolf Pack Topple Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Look Lineup Not Enough at Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Overpower San Antonio Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose in Shootout to Bears, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bailey's Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win Over Phantoms - Utica Comets
- Bears Edge Penguins in Shootout, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Moose Reassign Forward Bobby Lynch - Manitoba Moose
- Win Streak Extended In 5-2 Win Over Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Upended in Binghamton, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - AHL
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25 - Rockford IceHogs
- De Leo Recalled, Terry Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Alex Volkov from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host First-Ever Wizards Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Youth Hockey Appearances Start with Leschyshyn - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Open Boat Show Road Trip Tonight in Texas - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Jets Reassign Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Agree to Terms on One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Evan McEneny - Laval Rocket
- Three Rejoin Tucson from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Game Time for Saturday Changed to 1 PM - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 10, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Senators Ink Todd to PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, January 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wahlstrom Back for Three-In-Three this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Christopher Brown Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game 34 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Acquire John Stevens for Future Considerations - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Make Trade with Utica - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.