Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson
LOVELAND, CO. - The Colorado Eagles stormed out to a 4-0 lead in the first period to help secure a 5-1 victory over the Tucson Roadrunners on Friday. Adam Werner earned his 13th win of the season in net, stopping 27 of the 28 shots he faced in the contest. The victory now gives Colorado points in 12-straight games and wins in nine of the Eagles last 10 games.
Colorado's first-period onslaught would begin just 29 seconds into the contest when a Roadrunners turnover in their own zone led to Eagles forward Sheldon Dries burying a shot from the left-wing circle to give Colorado a 1-0 edge.
A power play would set up the Eagles next tally, as forward Michael Joly would light the lamp with a one-timer from the right-wing circle that would stretch Colorado's advantage to 2-0 at the 13:36 mark of the opening 20 minutes of action.
Just 57 seconds after Joly's goal, forward Shane Bowers would weave his way between the circles before snapping a shot past Tucson goaltender Brandon Halverson. The tally would grow the Eagles lead to 3-0 and would also signal the end of the night for Halverson who would give way to Tyler Parks for the duration.
As time wound down in the opening frame, Colorado would add one more mark to the scoreboard when forward Martin Kaut skated through the left-wing circle before unfurling a wrister that would beat Parks and extend the Eagles advantage to 4-0 with 2:28 remaining in the first period.
Colorado would open the second period with another jolt of offense, as forward Erik Condra would cap off a 2-on-1 rush with a shot that would light the lamp and put the Eagles on top, 5-0 at the 4:59 mark of the middle frame.
Tucson would outshoot Colorado 14-9 in the second period, but Werner would deny all 14 opportunities to send the two teams to the second intermission with the Eagles still leading, 5-0.
The third period would see the Roadrunners spoil Werner's shutout bid when forward Michael Chaput muscled a rebound attempt into the back of the net on the power play to trim Colorado's advantage to 5-1 with only 43 seconds remaining in regulation.
The Eagles outshot Tucson 29-28, as Colorado would finish the night going 1-for-3 on the power play while the Roadrunners scored on one of their two opportunities on the man-advantage.
The Eagles return to action when they take on the Tucson Roadrunners on Saturday, January 11th at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Ride Special Teams to Win over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Shut out Moose to Begin Long Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Grosenick, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Denied by Pickard, Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Sharp-Shooting Wolf Pack Topple Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Look Lineup Not Enough at Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Overpower San Antonio Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose in Shootout to Bears, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bailey's Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win Over Phantoms - Utica Comets
- Bears Edge Penguins in Shootout, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Moose Reassign Forward Bobby Lynch - Manitoba Moose
- Win Streak Extended In 5-2 Win Over Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Upended in Binghamton, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - AHL
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25 - Rockford IceHogs
- De Leo Recalled, Terry Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Alex Volkov from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host First-Ever Wizards Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Youth Hockey Appearances Start with Leschyshyn - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Open Boat Show Road Trip Tonight in Texas - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Jets Reassign Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Agree to Terms on One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Evan McEneny - Laval Rocket
- Three Rejoin Tucson from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Game Time for Saturday Changed to 1 PM - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 10, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Senators Ink Todd to PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, January 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wahlstrom Back for Three-In-Three this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Christopher Brown Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game 34 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Acquire John Stevens for Future Considerations - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Make Trade with Utica - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction