Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators
(Rochester, NY) ... The Rochester Americans (21-10-2-3) allowed two shorthanded goals and were unable to find the offensive spark that they needed in suffering a 5-1 loss to the Belleville Senators (21-13-2-1) Friday night at The Blue Cross Arena. The contest was the third game between the two clubs in three weeks and the third of the six-game season series.
Despite the loss, the Amerks show a 16-7-1-2 record over their last 26 games dating back to Nov. 1, earning points in 19 games over that span.
Forward C.J Smith scored his sixth goal of the season midway through the second period while on the power-play for the lone Rochester tally. Andrew Oglevie, who returned to the lineup after missing the previous seven games, and Kevin Porter each picked up helpers on the marker. Casey Fitzgerald also returned to the lineup after he missed the last 11 contests.
Goaltender Jonas Johansson (11-3-3) made his second consecutive start in the crease but suffered his first regulation loss since Oct. 30. Coming into tonight, the AHL All-Star netminder was 9-0-1 in his previous 10 appearances. Johansson made 13 saves before being replaced by Andrew Hammond (10-7-2) at the 15:29 mark of the second period. Hammond stopped six shots he faced in nearly 22 minutes played.
Alex Formenton helped Belleville open up its 16-day, eight-game road-trip with three goals while Vitaly Abramov and Jean-Christophe Beaudin rounded the scoring as they both tacked on a goal. Second-year goaltender Filip Gustavsson made 35 saves on the night to improve to 6-2-2 on the season as he earned the win.
After the Amerks were unable to capitalize on the man-advantage in the first two minutes of the opening stanza, Formenton gave the visitors their first lead of the night as he slipped a shot inside the right arm of Johansson at the 4:55 mark.
As the first frame was dwindling down, again Rochester drew another power-play only to see Josh Norris intercept an errant pass as the Amerks blueline before gathering it to the left of Johansson. Norris fired a shot from the right circle that caromed off the Rochester netminder and then off Formenton and into the net to give the Senators a 2-0 lead going into the intermission.
"Our power-play definitely has to be better," explained Porter. "We can't give up two shorthanded goals; it just kills your momentum. During the second one, I thought we were playing well, but we gave up despite getting opportunities. It just killed the momentum."
"I really liked our start," said Amerks head coach Chris Taylor. "The first 10 minutes of the game we had 12 or 13 shots on net, and even if Belleville scored one or two goals, we are still a good team. There is a reason why we are atop the standings. We know how to score, we know how to win, but for some reason tonight, I felt we panicked."
Midway through the second period, the Amerks were able to give the hometown crowd of nearly 8,500 something to celebrate as Smith brought Rochester within one with 10:55 to go in the frame.
Prior to the power-play goal, Rochester kept the Senators inside their own zone for the first 1:17 thanks to outstanding efforts by Porter, Oglevie, Smith, John Gilmour and Brett Murray.
"It has been a tough stretch for me personally, but it was nice to finally get a goal," said Smith after scoring his first goal since Dec. 14. "As much as the personal accomplishments, I would like to also get some team results."
Belleville countered the Smith tally with two goals in less than two minutes to take a 4-1 cushion into the second period.
"We had a lot of shots on net, a lot of opportunities, a lot of missed shots, but we just have to be better and find ways to finish around the net," said Taylor. "The mistakes we're making are uncharacteristic of a lot of different guys, especially with the experience that they have."
During the final 20 minutes of play, Rochester attempted to crawl its way back, but Gustavsson turned aside all 14 shots he faced before Formenton capped off the three-goal performance and 5-1 victory as he added an empty-netter.
The Amerks close out the weekend on Saturday, Jan. 11 as they face-off with the Syracuse Crunch at the War Memorial Arena. The 7:00 p.m. contest will be the fourth between the two North Division rivals this season after Rochester took the first three meetings all by one-goal margins and a combined score of 14-11. The matchup will be carried live on The Sports Leader AM 950/95.7 FM ESPN Rochester as well as AHLTV.
Amerks Forward Kevin Porter - amerks.co/HmxTV9
Amerks Forward C.J. Smith - amerks.co/EUKf0p
Amerks Defenseman John Gilmour - amerks.co/AGVxFv
Amerks Head Coach Chris Taylor - amerks.co/TWAbxG
ROC: C. Smith (6)
BEL: A. Formenton (17, 18 - GWG, 19), V. Abramov (15), J. Beaduin (2)
ROC: J. Johansson - 13/16 (L) | Andrew Hammond - 6/7 (ND)
BEL: F. Gustavsson - 35/36 (W)
ROC: PP (1/5) | PK (5/5)
BEL: PP (0/5) | PK (4/5)
1. A. Formenton (BEL)
2. F. Gustavsson (BEL)
3. V. Abramov (BEL)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Ride Special Teams to Win over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Shut out Moose to Begin Long Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Grosenick, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Denied by Pickard, Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Sharp-Shooting Wolf Pack Topple Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Look Lineup Not Enough at Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Overpower San Antonio Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose in Shootout to Bears, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bailey's Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win Over Phantoms - Utica Comets
- Bears Edge Penguins in Shootout, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Moose Reassign Forward Bobby Lynch - Manitoba Moose
- Win Streak Extended In 5-2 Win Over Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Upended in Binghamton, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - AHL
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25 - Rockford IceHogs
- De Leo Recalled, Terry Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Alex Volkov from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host First-Ever Wizards Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Youth Hockey Appearances Start with Leschyshyn - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Open Boat Show Road Trip Tonight in Texas - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Jets Reassign Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Agree to Terms on One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Evan McEneny - Laval Rocket
- Three Rejoin Tucson from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Game Time for Saturday Changed to 1 PM - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 10, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Senators Ink Todd to PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, January 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wahlstrom Back for Three-In-Three this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Christopher Brown Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game 34 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Acquire John Stevens for Future Considerations - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Make Trade with Utica - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Relive Some of the Top Moments of the 2019-20 Season with Amerks Season Rewind
- Nathan Paetsch Named Amerks 2019-20 Ioa/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Amerks Partnering with Comets, Crunch and Devils for 'New York Hockey Gives Blood' Initiative
- Baudry Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team
- Pegula Sports Provides $1.2 Million in Aid to Western New York