Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch stumbled against the Laval Rocket, 7-5, tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The loss drops the Crunch to 17-16-2-1 on the season and 1-3-0-0 in the six-game season series against the Rocket.
Goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 4-of-7 shots before being relieved by Mike Condon in the second period. Condon went on to turn aside 17-of-20. Cayden Primeau earned the win with 26 saves in net for the Rocket. Syracuse converted on both of their power play opportunities and went 2-for-3 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch were first on the board 4:27 into the game. Patrick Sieloff's point shot went wide, but Danick Martel was able to collect the puck behind the net and chip out a centering feed for Cory Conacher. He cut across the zone and tucked a backhander past Primeau's skate.
Two minutes later, the Rocket evened the score when Riley Barber picked off a pass and sent it home from the slot.
Syracuse went back on top with 56 seconds remaining in the opening frame. Taylor Raddysh came in on a 2-on-1 with Ross Colton and sniped a shot from the right circle. Sieloff made it a multi-point night with the secondary helper.
Laval scored three consecutive goals within the first three minutes of the second period to steal the lead. Just 37 seconds into the frame, Christian Folin fired in a centering feed from Yannick Veilleux. At 2:18, Alexandre Alain beat Martin from the right circle off an assist from Xavier Ouellet. Only 16 seconds later, Kevin Lynch picked up the puck at the left-wing boards and scored after he cut in front of the net.
The Crunch responded with a power-play goal at the 6:42 mark. Cal Foote set up Colton for a one-timer from between the circles.
The Rocket regained their two-goal lead with a power-play goal late in the middle frame when Charles Hudon one-timed a feed from Xavier Ouellet in the right circle.
At 9:26, Daniel Walcott chipped in a rebound off assists from Ben Thomas and Dennis Yan, but Laval added two more to build a three-goal lead. At 13:56, Hudon scored his second with a wrister from the right circle. Karl Alzner then hit the empty net.
With 10 seconds remaining in the game, Cameron Gaunce found the back of the net on the power play off assists from Mathieu Joseph and Conacher.
The Crunch host the Rochester Americans tomorrow night.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the Upstate Medical University Arena at Onondaga County War Memorial at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Pat Sieloff recorded his first multi-point game since April 6, 2018...Danick Martel is on a three-game points streak (4a)...Cal Foote is on a career-high five-game points streak (1g, 7a).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Ride Special Teams to Win over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Shut out Moose to Begin Long Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Grosenick, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Denied by Pickard, Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Sharp-Shooting Wolf Pack Topple Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Look Lineup Not Enough at Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Overpower San Antonio Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose in Shootout to Bears, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bailey's Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win Over Phantoms - Utica Comets
- Bears Edge Penguins in Shootout, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Moose Reassign Forward Bobby Lynch - Manitoba Moose
- Win Streak Extended In 5-2 Win Over Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Upended in Binghamton, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - AHL
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25 - Rockford IceHogs
- De Leo Recalled, Terry Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Alex Volkov from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host First-Ever Wizards Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Youth Hockey Appearances Start with Leschyshyn - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Open Boat Show Road Trip Tonight in Texas - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Jets Reassign Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Agree to Terms on One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Evan McEneny - Laval Rocket
- Three Rejoin Tucson from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Game Time for Saturday Changed to 1 PM - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 10, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Senators Ink Todd to PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, January 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wahlstrom Back for Three-In-Three this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Christopher Brown Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game 34 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Acquire John Stevens for Future Considerations - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Make Trade with Utica - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Daniel Walcott to One-Year Contract
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch, Utica Comets, Binghamton Devils, Rochester Americans Partner with American Red Cross to Announce New York Hockey Gives Blood