Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester
The Belleville Senators used an Alex Formenton hat-trick to role to a 5-1 win in Rochester Friday night.
Vitaly Abramov and JC Beaudin also scored while Filip Gustavsson made 35 saves. The Amerks' Jonas Johansson turned away 13 shots before being replaced by Andrew Hammond who stopped six shots. CJ Smith had their only goal.
Formenton opened the scoring 4:55 into the first as the rookie beat Johansson awkwardly from the left side of the left faceoff circle for his 17th of the year for a 1-0 Belleville lead.
He had his second of the night short-handed at 15:03 on one he didn't know too much about as Josh Norris' initial shot was saved by Johansson and the rebound just hit Formenton and trickled in for a 2-0 advantage after 20 minutes.
The Amerks got on the board through Smith's sixth of the year at 9:05 of the second with Erik Brannstrom in the box but Belleville restored its two-goal lead through Abramov who basically scored from the goal line as he just tossed the puck goalwards where Johansson somehow put the puck into his own net and ended his night at 15:29.
Beaudin buried Belleville's second short-handed goal of the evening with 2:52 to play in the second as Morgan Klimchuk forced a turnover in the offensive zone before finding Beaudin who used a screen to beat Hammond for his second of the year and a 4-1 Sens lead.
Formenton completed his first career pro hat-trick with 2:25 to play as he buried the empty-netter to make it 5-1 Sens.
The Sens' two short-handed goals tied a franchise record.
Belleville is back at it tomorrow night when they visit Utica. The Sens aren't home until Jan. 25 when they host the Comets on Bell Let's Talk night. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Ride Special Teams to Win over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Shut out Moose to Begin Long Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Grosenick, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Denied by Pickard, Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Sharp-Shooting Wolf Pack Topple Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Look Lineup Not Enough at Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Overpower San Antonio Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose in Shootout to Bears, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bailey's Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win Over Phantoms - Utica Comets
- Bears Edge Penguins in Shootout, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Moose Reassign Forward Bobby Lynch - Manitoba Moose
- Win Streak Extended In 5-2 Win Over Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Upended in Binghamton, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - AHL
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25 - Rockford IceHogs
- De Leo Recalled, Terry Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Alex Volkov from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host First-Ever Wizards Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Youth Hockey Appearances Start with Leschyshyn - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Open Boat Show Road Trip Tonight in Texas - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Jets Reassign Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Agree to Terms on One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Evan McEneny - Laval Rocket
- Three Rejoin Tucson from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Game Time for Saturday Changed to 1 PM - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 10, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Senators Ink Todd to PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, January 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wahlstrom Back for Three-In-Three this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Christopher Brown Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game 34 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Acquire John Stevens for Future Considerations - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Make Trade with Utica - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Belleville Senators Forward Josh Norris Voted Winner of Dudley (Red) Garrett Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie
- BSens Announce 2019-20 Team Awards
- Norris and Batherson Named to 2019-20 AHL First and Second All-Star Teams
- Norris and Formenton Named 2019-20 AHL All-Rookie Team
- Belleville Senators Announce AHL 2019/20 Season Cancellation