Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (21-16-2-0) rode a red-hot goaltender and stellar special teams effort to a 4-0 win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (13-21-4-1) on Friday night at the MassMutual Center.
The first period started slowly, seeing the two teams trade power play chances in the opening 10 minutes, but with neither club generating many chances. The 0-0 stalemate carried through to the 16:13 mark of the period, until Joel Lowry scooped up a puck in the right circle and fired a shot through a Rodrigo Abols screen and past Bridgeport goalie Jared Coreau to get Springfield ahead, 1-0. The goal was Lowry's third in the last four games.
In the middle period, Lowry would be far from finished. After Springfield was whistled for two consecutive penalties, and with the bench irate over non-calls against Bridgeport, the Sound Tigers nearly tied the score when Travis St. Denis sat alone in front of the goal, but Sam Montembeault denied the shifty Sound Tiger on the doorstep. Moments later, Jack Rodewald roared up the left wing on a 2-on-1 just seconds after he could not beat Coreau on a breakaway bid shorthanded. This time, though, Lowry followed him and stopped in the crease to jam a deflected puck into the back of the net to get Springfield a 2-0 lead at 16:17 of the second. That goal was Springfield's eighth shorthanded tally this year.
With a 2-0 lead in tow heading into the third, the power play then got in on the action. After Dryden Hunt whipped a one-time shot wide, Owen Tippett blasted from the right circle, creating a rebound off of Coreau's pad. Paul Thompson did the work this time from the blue paint, shifting to his backhand and shuffling the puck home to make it a 3-0 lead at 8:26 of the final period.
From there, Montembeault made sure the Sound Tigers could not crack the door even ajar, stonewalling 10 third period offerings and getting an insurance marker from Hunt with less than 30 seconds to play.
The 4-0 win was Springfield's first shutout victory of the 2019-20 season, as well as the fourth of Montembeault's three-year career.
On Saturday, the Thunderbirds will look to end a three-game slide against the Providence Bruins, who took home a 4-3 win from the MassMutual Center in the clubs' last matchup on Dec. 27. Former Bruin and current T-Birds defenseman Tommy Cross leads all Springfield skaters with three goals in the five-game season series.
The T-Birds will be wearing vintage Springfield Indians jerseys on Saturday for the 3rd annual Blast from the Past Night presented by MassMutual. The blue and orange Indians jerseys will be the same ones that were worn by the 1989-90 Calder Cup champion Indians to celebrate the 30th anniversary of that team's rise to the top of the AHL.
For more ticket information or to become a 2019-20 Springfield Thunderbirds ticket package member, or to purchase single game tickets, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Ride Special Teams to Win over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Shut out Moose to Begin Long Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Grosenick, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Denied by Pickard, Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Sharp-Shooting Wolf Pack Topple Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Look Lineup Not Enough at Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Overpower San Antonio Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose in Shootout to Bears, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bailey's Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win Over Phantoms - Utica Comets
- Bears Edge Penguins in Shootout, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Moose Reassign Forward Bobby Lynch - Manitoba Moose
- Win Streak Extended In 5-2 Win Over Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Upended in Binghamton, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - AHL
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25 - Rockford IceHogs
- De Leo Recalled, Terry Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Alex Volkov from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host First-Ever Wizards Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Youth Hockey Appearances Start with Leschyshyn - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Open Boat Show Road Trip Tonight in Texas - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Jets Reassign Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Agree to Terms on One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Evan McEneny - Laval Rocket
- Three Rejoin Tucson from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Game Time for Saturday Changed to 1 PM - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 10, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Senators Ink Todd to PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, January 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wahlstrom Back for Three-In-Three this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Christopher Brown Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game 34 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Acquire John Stevens for Future Considerations - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Make Trade with Utica - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season
- Springfield Thunderbirds Team up to Provide Meals to Local Hospitals
- Paul Thompson Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year