Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (13-21-4-1), American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders, suffered a 4-0 loss to the Springfield Thunderbirds (21-16-2-0) on Friday night at the MassMutual Center.
Springfield scored once at even strength, once on the power play, once shorthanded and added one empty-netter. Joel Lowry had two for the T-Birds, while Paul Thompson and Dryden Hunt also contributed. Between the pipes, Samuel Montembeault (4-4-1) recorded a 31-save shutout for the home team.
It was the first time Bridgeport had been blanked since Nov. 22 against Providence and the fourth time overall this season.
Lowry opened the scoring at 16:13 of the first period with his fifth goal of the season, funneled through a textbook screen by Rodrigo Abols. Lowry skated slowly through the right circle and waited for Abols to step in front of goaltender Jared Coreau, before he filtered a low wrist shot between the leg pads.
Lowry's second of the night came at 16:17 of the middle frame, this time shorthanded. With Jonathan Ang in the box for tripping, the Sound Tigers tested Montembeault with several top-notch opportunities, but couldn't capitalize before the T-Birds answered in transition. Jack Rodewald was stoned on a breakaway by Coreau's right pad at first, but Rodewald led another charge shortly after, this time two-on-one. Rodewald played a pass left-to-right across the crease and Lowry forced it home at the back door.
Thompson's power-play tally at 8:26 of the third period extended Springfield's lead to 3-0. Hunt missed the net with a shot, which jumped off the end wall, and Owen Tippett followed with a slap shot from the right circle. Coreau answered that blast with a save, but the rebound fell to the crease where Thompson directed it home for his 11th goal of the season.
The Thunderbirds capped the scoring in the final 22 seconds with Hunt's empty-netter, from Ang.
Bridgeport finished the game 0-for-5 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill. Coreau (5-11-1) turned back 36 of the 39 shots he faced.
Springfield outshot Bridgeport 40-31. It was the Sound Tigers' sixth straight loss (0-5-1-0) and seventh in a row on the road (0-7-0-0).
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers return to Webster Bank Arena tomorrow night for a 7 p.m. puck drop against the defending Calder Cup champion Charlotte Checkers. It's the middle contest of a three-game weekend series, which concludes on Sunday at 3 p.m. against the North Division's Laval Rocket. Fans can follow all of the live action via the Sound Tigers Radio Network and AHLTV, beginning with the pre-game show at 6:45 p.m.
Military Appreciation Weekend: The Sound Tigers return home this Saturday and Sunday for Military Appreciation Weekend, presented by the Better Business Bureau Serving Connecticut and other community partners. Saturday's 7 p.m. features a military hat giveaway to the first 2,500 fans and Sunday's 3 p.m. tilt includes a t-shirt giveaway to the first 1,000 in attendance. All veterans and active duty personnel may receive a free ticket by showing their military ID at the Webster Bank Arena Click It or Ticket Box Office. In addition, the Sound Tigers will wear all-new military-themed jerseys both days, which will be auctioned off to benefit the BBB Foundation. Great seats are still on sale!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Four-Goal First Period Leads Eagles to 5-1 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Ride Special Teams to Win over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Stumble in 5-1 Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Shut out Moose to Begin Long Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Grosenick, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Denied by Pickard, Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Sharp-Shooting Wolf Pack Topple Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Look Lineup Not Enough at Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Overpower San Antonio Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Stumble against Rocket, 7-5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose in Shootout to Bears, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Formenton Hat-Trick Powers Sens to Win in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport can't beat Samuel Montembeault despite 31 shots on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bailey's Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win Over Phantoms - Utica Comets
- Bears Edge Penguins in Shootout, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Moose Reassign Forward Bobby Lynch - Manitoba Moose
- Win Streak Extended In 5-2 Win Over Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Montembeault Magnificent in Shutout for T-Birds' 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers' Win Streak Comes to an End in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Upended in Binghamton, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding Friday's Marlies-Stars Game - AHL
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25 - Rockford IceHogs
- De Leo Recalled, Terry Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Alex Volkov from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host First-Ever Wizards Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Youth Hockey Appearances Start with Leschyshyn - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Open Boat Show Road Trip Tonight in Texas - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Jets Reassign Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Agree to Terms on One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Evan McEneny - Laval Rocket
- Three Rejoin Tucson from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Game Time for Saturday Changed to 1 PM - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 10, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Senators Ink Todd to PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, January 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wahlstrom Back for Three-In-Three this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Christopher Brown Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game 34 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Acquire John Stevens for Future Considerations - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Make Trade with Utica - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Helgeson, Kubiak, Brown, Pastujov Agree to Terms
- Islanders Sign Greer, Ho-Sang, Vande Sompel and Wotherspoon
- NCAA 2023 Division I Men's Hockey Regionals Coming to City of Bridgeport and Webster Bank Arena
- Czarnik and Hutton Agree to Two-Year Deals
- Former Sound Tigers Pushed New York Islanders to Deep Playoff Run