Wright's Powerplay Goal Carries Firebirds Over Canucks
Wright Scores on a 5-on-3 Man Advantage to Continue Coachella Valley's Road Dominance
The Firebirds defeated the Abbotsford Canucks on Friday night by the final score of 4-2. Shane Wright scored on a 5-on-3 powerplay halfway through the third period to move the Firebirds to 9-1-0-0 on the road this season.
The Canucks scored the lone goal of the first period on a Sheldon Dries strike. Dries snuck past the Coachella Valley defense and lifted the puck past Chris Driedger to give Abbotsford a 1-0 advantage.
The Firebirds tied the game in the second period as Canucks' netminder Arturs Silovs misplayed the puck in the crease. Abbotsford defenseman Christian Wolanin inadvertently put the puck into his own net while trying to swat it away. The goal was credited to Cameron Hughes for his fourth tally of the season.
Marian Studenic gave the Firebirds' their first lead of the game after Kole Lind put a shot off Silovs' shoulder that Studenic knocked out of mid-air. The goal was Studenic's seventh of the season and was assisted by Kole Lind and Shane Wright. Abbotsford tied the game with 3:31 left in the second to make it 2-2.
Coachella Valley went to a 5-on-3 powerplay halfway through the third period and finally broke through on the man advantage. Andrew Poturalski slid the puck across to Shane Wright who beat Silovs to put the Firebirds ahead 3-2. The goal was Wright's ninth of the season and the secondary assist was awarded to Cale Fleury. Tucker Robertson scored on the Abbotsford empty net with 1:18 left to seal the 4-2 win.
Chris Driedger stopped all 23 of the 25 shots he saw while Arturs Silovs stopped 32 of 36.
The Firebirds powerplay went 1-for-8 and the penalty kill finished the night 4-for-4. The win moves Coachella Valley to a 10-7-1-0 record on the season.
NEXT HOME GAME
The Firebirds rematch against the Canucks tomorrow night in Abbotsford. Puck drop is set for 7pm PT. Head to Ticketmaster to lock in your seat before it's too late. Don't forget to purchase parking in advance online at ParkWhiz.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2023
- Cracknell Nets Hat Trick, Leads Silver Knights in 5-1 Triumph Over Barracuda - Henderson Silver Knights
- Belleville Sens Stretch Point Streak in Overtime Loss to Griffins - Belleville Senators
- Eagles Fans Donate 9,000 Teddy Bears as Colorado Falls to Tucson, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Snap Five-Game Road Loss Streak with 4-3 Overtime Win Against Senators - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gulls Top IceHogs - San Diego Gulls
- Wisdom Brings the Teddy Bears - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Complete Sweep Saturday Night in Cedar Park - Texas Stars
- Askarov Holds off Iowa in 4-1 Defeat - Iowa Wild
- Gulls Sweep Hogs in Weekend Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Fall to Stars 8-5 - Chicago Wolves
- Frank, Stevenson Power Bears to 6-0 Win Over Monsters - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Take Down Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- T-Birds Stuff Islanders on Teddy Bear Toss Night, 5-1 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Falter in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ads Complete Sweep of Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Blanked by Bears 6-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Beat Crunch on the Road, 3-1 - Utica Comets
- Penguins Undone by Bruins, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Utica Scores Early and Keeps Scoring to Take Down Baltimore 10-6 - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack's Eight-Game Point Streak Comes to Halt in Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Merkulov, P-Bruins Down Penguins for Seventh Consecutive Victory - Providence Bruins
- Morning Skate Report: December 9, 2023 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Brown and Millman Join Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Capitals Loan Forward Hendrix Lapierre to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss Game vs. Gulls - Rockford IceHogs
- Phillips Recalled to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: Condors v Reign, 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Blues Recall F Hugh McGing from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Milwaukee Admirals - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Look to Sweep Weekend Set from Rocket - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #22: Tucson Roadrunners vs. Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Continue Road Trip in Springfield - Bridgeport Islanders
- Wright's Powerplay Goal Carries Firebirds Over Canucks - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Condors Take Down Reign - Bakersfield Condors
- Silver Knights Defeated by Barracuda, 6-1, on the Road - Henderson Silver Knights
- Colorado Snaps Roadrunners' Five-Game Unbeaten Streak - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wranglers Win Third Straight - Calgary Wranglers
- Abbotsford Falls 4-2 as Firebirds Snap Canucks' Home Win Streak - Abbotsford Canucks
- Gushchin Picks up Four Points in Barracuda Win Over Silver Knight - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Top Reign - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Coachella Valley Firebirds Stories
- Morrison's Four-Point Night Helps Lead Firebirds to 30th Win of Season
- Firebirds Cruise Back Into The Win Column With 6-1 Victory Over Henderson
- Driedger Stymies San Jose for Second Straight Shutout
- Firebirds Blank Silver Knights to Move into First Place in Pacific Division
- Firebirds Extend Point Streak With 5-2 Win Over Wranglers