Gulls Sweep Hogs in Weekend Series
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The San Diego Gulls swept the Rockford IceHogs over the weekend with a 5-1 victory on Saturday night at the BMO Center. Rockford was unable to match the offensive pressure the Gulls provided in the game with the addition of another exceptional performance from Tomas Suchanek. Rockford hit the scoreboard on a lone goal by Logan Nijhoiff. Jaxson Stauber saved 27 of 31 shots.
In the first period both the Gulls and Hogs came out of the gates with physical play. Rockford fired 11 shots, outshooting last night's efforts of just four shots in the first 20 minutes. Stauber, who played in yesterday's game, made 12 saves in the first period.
In the second frame of action the Gulls struck first on a redirected shot from Ben King off Glenn Gawdin's skate into the net for a goal (6:32). Braden Tracey added to the Gulls scoring late in the second after stealing a pass in the offensive zone (13:24).
With less than two minutes to go in the period the Gulls forced the Hogs on a 2-on-1 led by Jacob Perreault with Chase De Leo trailing. Perreault sent a backdoor pass to De Leo to give the Gulls a 3-0 lead (18:09). Rockford struggled in the second period with just four shots and two power-play opportunities.
Halfway through the final 20 minutes, Tyson Hinds scored his first AHL goal putting San Diego up 4-0 (11:54).
Rockford ended five scoreless periods of hockey with Logan Nijhoff's goal late in the third (13:57). Bryce Kindopp won the faceoff and sent the puck to Ethan Del Mastro at the point. Del Mastro sent a wrist shot towards the net and Nijhoff was able to tip the puck into the net past the pads of Tomas Suchanek.
San Diego added one more goal to their night on a short-handed empty netter scored by Judd Caulfield (16:38).
The IceHogs return back to action on Friday, Dec. 15 as they host the Iowa Wild for a two-game series at the BMO Center. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2023
- Cracknell Nets Hat Trick, Leads Silver Knights in 5-1 Triumph Over Barracuda - Henderson Silver Knights
- Belleville Sens Stretch Point Streak in Overtime Loss to Griffins - Belleville Senators
- Eagles Fans Donate 9,000 Teddy Bears as Colorado Falls to Tucson, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Snap Five-Game Road Loss Streak with 4-3 Overtime Win Against Senators - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gulls Top IceHogs - San Diego Gulls
- Wisdom Brings the Teddy Bears - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Complete Sweep Saturday Night in Cedar Park - Texas Stars
- Askarov Holds off Iowa in 4-1 Defeat - Iowa Wild
- Gulls Sweep Hogs in Weekend Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Fall to Stars 8-5 - Chicago Wolves
- Frank, Stevenson Power Bears to 6-0 Win Over Monsters - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Take Down Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- T-Birds Stuff Islanders on Teddy Bear Toss Night, 5-1 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Falter in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ads Complete Sweep of Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Blanked by Bears 6-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Beat Crunch on the Road, 3-1 - Utica Comets
- Penguins Undone by Bruins, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Utica Scores Early and Keeps Scoring to Take Down Baltimore 10-6 - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack's Eight-Game Point Streak Comes to Halt in Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Merkulov, P-Bruins Down Penguins for Seventh Consecutive Victory - Providence Bruins
- Morning Skate Report: December 9, 2023 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Brown and Millman Join Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Capitals Loan Forward Hendrix Lapierre to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss Game vs. Gulls - Rockford IceHogs
- Phillips Recalled to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: Condors v Reign, 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Blues Recall F Hugh McGing from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Milwaukee Admirals - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Look to Sweep Weekend Set from Rocket - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #22: Tucson Roadrunners vs. Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Continue Road Trip in Springfield - Bridgeport Islanders
- Wright's Powerplay Goal Carries Firebirds Over Canucks - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Condors Take Down Reign - Bakersfield Condors
- Silver Knights Defeated by Barracuda, 6-1, on the Road - Henderson Silver Knights
- Colorado Snaps Roadrunners' Five-Game Unbeaten Streak - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wranglers Win Third Straight - Calgary Wranglers
- Abbotsford Falls 4-2 as Firebirds Snap Canucks' Home Win Streak - Abbotsford Canucks
- Gushchin Picks up Four Points in Barracuda Win Over Silver Knight - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Top Reign - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Del Mastro Caps off Third-Period Comeback with Overtime Winner; Hogs Win Fifth Straight
- Hardman Enters Concussion Protocol
- Hogs Seek to Extend Win Streak to Five against Red-Hot Griffins
- Rem Pitlick Scores Twice In Victory Over First Place Admirals
- IceHogs Square off with First-Place Admirals