IceHogs Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss Game vs. Gulls
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Saturday night brings the Rockford IceHogs' annual Teddy Bear Toss game at the BMO Center against the San Diego Gulls. After Rockford's first goal, fans will throw teddy bears and plush toys onto the ice to be collected and donated to local Rockford area non-profits.
Tonight is also the first night of the Hogs' Local Artist Hat Series Giveaway. Local Rockford artist Joe Tallman designed the hat to be given away at the BMO Center tonight.
2023-24 Season Records
Rockford: 9-9-2-0, 20 points (T-3rd, Central)
San Diego: 6-11-4-0, 15 points (T-9th, Pacific)
Last Night vs. San Diego
Last night, the Gulls demolished the Hogs in a 7-0 final at the BMO Center. In Rockford's most lopsided loss of the season, the Hogs surrendered two goals in the first period, three in the second, and two in the third. Rookie goaltender Tomas Suchanek stopped all 21 Rockford shots and recorded his first professional shutout for San Diego. Andrew Agozzino scored two goals for San Diego, and Chase De Leo picked up three assists.
Rockford-San Diego Express
The IceHogs and Gulls have shared seven players over the last two seasons. In a series of trades last season, Rockford acquired Rocco Grimaldi, Logan Nijhoff, and Hunter Drew from San Diego while sending Dylan Sikura and Josiah Slavin to the West Coast. This past offseason, the Hogs signed free agents Josh Healey and Bryce Kindopp after both were playing with the Gulls during the 2022-23 season.
Phillips Called Up
The Chicago Blackhawks today announced that the team has recalled defenseman Isaak Phillips from the IceHogs. Phillips, 22, has posted three assists in nine games with the Blackhawks during the 2023-24 campaign. He's also registered three points (1G, 2A) in 10 games with the IceHogs. The defenseman has recorded eight points (1G, 7A) in 29 career NHL games with the Hawks over the last three seasons. Phillips has taken part of the last four campaigns with Rockford and is one game away from passing Dylan Olsen for ninth place all-time in games played by an IceHogs blueliner (needs 153).
Roll on Rolston
After scoring Rockford's only goal on Tuesday against Iowa, rookie forward Ryder Rolston now has six goals to open his pro career and leads Rockford rookies in goal scoring. He also found the back of the net on Sunday in Manitoba against the Moose and he struck twice on Nov. 22 against Manitoba at the BMO Center. Four of his markers have come within his last seven games, and he has two strikes in his last four contests. Rolston is tied for 14th amongst AHL rookies with his five goals, and he has done so in only 15 games. Last season with the University of Notre Dame, Rolston published 20 points (7G, 13A) in 27 games before a collarbone injury ended his season.
Power Play Struggles
Rockford's power play leapt out of the gate to start the season and posted a 37.9% conversion rate through the first nine games of the season (11-for-29). In the last 10 contests, the IceHogs are operating at an 7.8% clip (4-for-51) and were 0-for-5 on the man-advantage on last night against San Diego. In the last six games since Joey Anderson (nine power-play points) was called up to the Blackhawks, Rockford is just 1-for-23 on the power play. Thanks to the Hogs' outstanding start, Rockford still ranks 13th in the league with a season percentage of 18.8%.
Saturday's Teddy Bear Toss - Presented by Big Radio
Tonight is the IceHogs' annual Teddy Bear Toss night! Fans can bring plush toys to throw onto the ice once Rockford scores its first goal. The toys will then be donated to local non-profit organizations.
Local Artist Hat Series Giveaway
Saturday, Dec. 9 is the first night in the IceHogs' Local Artist Hat Series presented by BMO! Fans will receive a free IceHogs hat designed by local artist Joe Tallman upon entry to the BMO Center. Presented by WTVO 17 and FOX 39
Tickets to Tonight's Game
Hog Talk - The Official IceHogs Podcast
Check out the latest stories and interviews on Hog Talk, the official podcast of the Rockford IceHogs. Watch on YouTube, or listen in on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Listen on Apple - Listen on Spotify - Watch on YouTube
Tune In LIVE on the IceHogs Broadcast Network Presented by BMO
Watch and listen to every game this season on the IceHogs Broadcast Network presented by BMO! Listen from your favorite device, at home, or on the road at IceHogs.com and on the IceHogs app and watch LIVE on AHLTV and selected games in High Definition on 19.2 Circle TV! Fans can also tune in on all of Mid-West Family's local stations including 104.9 The X, B103, 95.3 The Bull, and Rockford Greatest Hits 100.5 and featured on Rock River Current, the Stateline's premiere source for local events, news and culture.
2023-24 Head-to-Head Schedule (All Times Central)
Fri., Dec. 8 vs San Diego - L 7-0 - Recap, Highlights
Sat., Dec. 9 vs San Diego, 7 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 20 at San Diego, 7 p.m.
Fri., Dec. 22 at San Diego, 7 p.m.
IceHogs vs Gulls, All-time
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2023
- Cracknell Nets Hat Trick, Leads Silver Knights in 5-1 Triumph Over Barracuda - Henderson Silver Knights
- Belleville Sens Stretch Point Streak in Overtime Loss to Griffins - Belleville Senators
- Eagles Fans Donate 9,000 Teddy Bears as Colorado Falls to Tucson, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Snap Five-Game Road Loss Streak with 4-3 Overtime Win Against Senators - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gulls Top IceHogs - San Diego Gulls
- Wisdom Brings the Teddy Bears - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Complete Sweep Saturday Night in Cedar Park - Texas Stars
- Askarov Holds off Iowa in 4-1 Defeat - Iowa Wild
- Gulls Sweep Hogs in Weekend Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Fall to Stars 8-5 - Chicago Wolves
- Frank, Stevenson Power Bears to 6-0 Win Over Monsters - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Take Down Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- T-Birds Stuff Islanders on Teddy Bear Toss Night, 5-1 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Falter in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ads Complete Sweep of Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Blanked by Bears 6-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Beat Crunch on the Road, 3-1 - Utica Comets
- Penguins Undone by Bruins, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Utica Scores Early and Keeps Scoring to Take Down Baltimore 10-6 - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack's Eight-Game Point Streak Comes to Halt in Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Merkulov, P-Bruins Down Penguins for Seventh Consecutive Victory - Providence Bruins
- Morning Skate Report: December 9, 2023 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Brown and Millman Join Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Capitals Loan Forward Hendrix Lapierre to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss Game vs. Gulls - Rockford IceHogs
- Phillips Recalled to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: Condors v Reign, 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Blues Recall F Hugh McGing from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Milwaukee Admirals - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Look to Sweep Weekend Set from Rocket - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #22: Tucson Roadrunners vs. Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Continue Road Trip in Springfield - Bridgeport Islanders
- Wright's Powerplay Goal Carries Firebirds Over Canucks - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Condors Take Down Reign - Bakersfield Condors
- Silver Knights Defeated by Barracuda, 6-1, on the Road - Henderson Silver Knights
- Colorado Snaps Roadrunners' Five-Game Unbeaten Streak - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wranglers Win Third Straight - Calgary Wranglers
- Abbotsford Falls 4-2 as Firebirds Snap Canucks' Home Win Streak - Abbotsford Canucks
- Gushchin Picks up Four Points in Barracuda Win Over Silver Knight - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Top Reign - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Del Mastro Caps off Third-Period Comeback with Overtime Winner; Hogs Win Fifth Straight
- Hardman Enters Concussion Protocol
- Hogs Seek to Extend Win Streak to Five against Red-Hot Griffins
- Rem Pitlick Scores Twice In Victory Over First Place Admirals
- IceHogs Square off with First-Place Admirals