Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1
BRIDGEPORT, CT. - Brett Ritchie scored two goals, including the game-winning tally, while Trent Frederic scored a goal and added two assists as the Providence Bruins defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1, on Saturday night.
Max Lagace recorded 26 saves for Providence in the victory. The P-Bruins outshot the Sound Tigers, 35-27, and went five-for-six on the penalty kill.
1st 2nd 3rd Final
PROVIDENCE 1 1 1 3
BRIDGEPORT 0 1 0 1
JAY LEACH, HEAD COACH
"I thought our first 10 minutes were really good and then we got into some penalty trouble. We complicated things, penalties included, and made it really hard on ourselves. They were right in the game.
"Coming out in the third, I think we had the mindset of playing the right way. We played with 18 skaters, got pucks deep and took care of the puck. That's the standard at which we need to play moving forward. It was really encouraging to see that in the end and it was great to get the two points."
BRETT RITCHIE - TWO GOALS
"We cleaned our game up a bit in the second half of the game. We played a little simpler and made them defend a little more. That kind of killed their momentum. We're a harder team to play against when we get playing like that. It was great to see everyone buy in, do the simple things, and get rewarded.
"I know the style of game that Freddy (Trent Frederic) and Pete (Peter Cehlarik) like to play. We're all big guys and we decided if we could use our size and wear those guys down that we would have a good chance to be successful."
- Max Lagace recorded 26 saves on 27 shots and collected his 15th win of the season. With the victory, Lagace is now tied for the second in the AHL in wins.
- Brett Ritchie scored two goals, including the game- winning goal in the second period. He led all skaters with nine shots on goal.
- Trent Frederic took home first star of the game honors after scoring a goal and adding two assists. He now has 23 points on the season, two shy of his career high.
- Peter Cehlarik recorded an assist on Ritchie's game-opening goal. He has now recorded three points (1G, 2A) in his last four contests.
- The P-Bruins will return to Providence, Rhode Island and take on the Springfield Thunderbirds on Sunday, January 19 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 3:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2020
- O'Connor Nets a Pair in Colorado's 4-3 Victory at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Bellerive Guides Pens Past Rampage in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Storm Back to Win in Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Iowa Earns Thrilling 4-3 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Earn Point in OT Loss at Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Blanked by Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Quinney Hat Trick Carries Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Assign Capobianco, Chaput and Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Carey Scores His 100th Goal with Lehigh Valley in 4-0 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Jobst nets power-play goal in Saturday setback at Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Scare off Monsters at Home - Utica Comets
- Monsters End Road Trip with 6-2 Loss in Utica - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Top Wolf Pack in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Alex Volkov Records Hat Trick in 6-5 Win over Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall To Crunch, 6-5 - Binghamton Devils
- Lewington the Difference as Hershey Takes OT Battle - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lorentz Scores Stunning Shootout Winner to Beat Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Scorers Silent in 3-0 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Recall Howdeshell from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Assign Yelesin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- De Leo, Jones and Sprong Join Gulls; Pietila Recalled - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Mitchell Stephens, Luke Schenn to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Returns Goaltender Tomas Sholl to Idaho - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Boat Show Road Trip Rolls Through Charlotte, N.C. - Toronto Marlies
- Mark Friedman Loaned to Phantoms by Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 18, 2020 at Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Heat Host Eagles for Teddy Bear Toss - Stockton Heat
- Condors Conclude Homestand with Girls Rock Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Admirals Assign Savage, Magwood - Milwaukee Admirals
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 37 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Stumble In San Diego To Start Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Petersen Stout in 5-1 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Start Second Half by Topping Powerful Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Six Eagles Light the Lamp in 6-2 Win at Bakersfield - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Slowed by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Fall Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Complete Weekend Sweep, Beat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2
- Vladar Records Shutout as P-Bruins Defeat Laval Rocket, 3-0
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers in Overtime, 2-1
- P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-2