O'Connor Nets a Pair in Colorado's 4-3 Victory at Stockton
STOCKTON, CA. - Colorado forward Logan O'Connor scored two goals, while defenseman Dan Renouf buried the game-winning goal with 58 seconds remaining in regulation to give the Eagles a 4-3 win over the Stockton Heat on Saturday. O'Connor, Renouf and forward T.J. Tynan all finished with multi-point performances, while forward A.J. Greer added an assist to extend his point streak to six games. Hunter Miska earned the win in net, making 38 saves on 41 shots. The victory now pulls the Eagles within five points of Stockton for second place in the AHL's pacific division.
O'Connor would open the scoring when he snagged a turnover in the right-wing circle and snapped a shot past Heat goalie Jon Gillies. The goal gave Colorado a 1-0 edge just 4:55 into the contest and extended O'Connor's point streak to four games.
A breakdown in transition would lead to the game-tying tally, as defenseman Corey Schueneman would slide the puck to the right side of the crease where forward Austin Czarnik would tap it home. The goal would knot the score at 1-1 with 7:05 remaining in the opening 20 minutes of play.
The Eagles would earn three opportunities on the power play in the first period but would not be able to capitalize and the two teams would head to the first intermission with the game still tied at 1-1.
Colorado would build upon its lead early in the second period when Sheldon Dries fed a pass from behind the net to the top of the crease, setting up forward Ryan Wagner to bash a shot into the back of the net to give the Eagles a 2-1 edge at the 4:55 mark of the middle frame. Colorado would go on to outshoot Stockton 14-11 in the second period and would head to the second intermission still on top, 2-1.
The Eagles would stretch their lead 4:08 into the third period when O'Connor camped out in the slot and tipped a shot past Gillies to push Colorado's advantage to 3-1.
The Heat would find a quick answer, as forward Alex Gallant would skate to the bottom of the right-wing circle before lifting a shot past Miska to trim the Eagles lead to 3-2 at the 5:51 mark of the final frame.
Still clinging to a one-goal advantage with time ticking down, Colorado would watch the lead disappear when Stockton forward Alan Quine wrapped behind the net before lighting the lamp with a backhander. The goal would tie the game at 3-3 with 2:18 left to play in the contest.
Trying to avert overtime, Renouf would skate to the blue line and unfurl a slapshot that would weave through traffic and into the back of the net with only 57.7 remaining in regulation to give the Eagles a 4-3 edge, which they would protect until the final horn.
Colorado was outshot in the contest 41-29, as the Eagles went 0-for-3 on the power play. Colorado was not forced to kill off a single power play in the game for the first this season.
The Eagles conclude their four-game road trip when they take on the Stockton Heat on Monday, January 20th at 2:00pm MT at Stockton Arena in Stockton, California.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2020
- O'Connor Nets a Pair in Colorado's 4-3 Victory at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Bellerive Guides Pens Past Rampage in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Storm Back to Win in Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Iowa Earns Thrilling 4-3 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Earn Point in OT Loss at Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Blanked by Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Quinney Hat Trick Carries Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Assign Capobianco, Chaput and Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Carey Scores His 100th Goal with Lehigh Valley in 4-0 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Jobst nets power-play goal in Saturday setback at Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Scare off Monsters at Home - Utica Comets
- Monsters End Road Trip with 6-2 Loss in Utica - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Top Wolf Pack in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Alex Volkov Records Hat Trick in 6-5 Win over Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall To Crunch, 6-5 - Binghamton Devils
- Lewington the Difference as Hershey Takes OT Battle - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lorentz Scores Stunning Shootout Winner to Beat Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Scorers Silent in 3-0 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Recall Howdeshell from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Assign Yelesin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- De Leo, Jones and Sprong Join Gulls; Pietila Recalled - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Mitchell Stephens, Luke Schenn to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Returns Goaltender Tomas Sholl to Idaho - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Boat Show Road Trip Rolls Through Charlotte, N.C. - Toronto Marlies
- Mark Friedman Loaned to Phantoms by Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 18, 2020 at Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Heat Host Eagles for Teddy Bear Toss - Stockton Heat
- Condors Conclude Homestand with Girls Rock Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Admirals Assign Savage, Magwood - Milwaukee Admirals
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 37 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Stumble In San Diego To Start Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Petersen Stout in 5-1 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Start Second Half by Topping Powerful Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Six Eagles Light the Lamp in 6-2 Win at Bakersfield - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Slowed by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Fall Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction