Alex Volkov Records Hat Trick in 6-5 Win over Devils
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- Alex Volkov recorded his first career hat trick in a 6-5 Syracuse Crunch win over the Binghamton Devils tonight at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
The win snaps a three-game skid and moves the Crunch to 19-18-2-2 on the season and 4-1-0-2 in the 10-game season series against the Devils.
Goaltender Martin Spencer stopped 3-of-7 in net for the Crunch before being relieved by Mike Condon in the first period. Condon went on to turn aside 19-of-21. Evan Cormier made 26 saves between the pipes for the Devils. Both Syracuse and Binghamton went 2-for-5 on the power play.
The Devils opened scoring just 1:35 into the game when Josh Jacobs tipped a long right-point shot from Ryan Schmelzer. Four minutes later, Volkov found the puck alone in the slot and fired home a power-play goal to even the score.
Binghamton regained the lead with two power-play goals in two minutes beginning at 8:08. Brett Seney's shot from the left circle was stopped, but the rebound dropped down for Joey Anderson to clean up. Nick Merkley then sent in a wrister from the top of the right circle.
Syracuse rallied and potted two consecutive goals of their own to end the first period knotted, 3-3. Dennis Yan started the comeback at 18:43. He got a crisp tape-to-tape pass from Otto Somppi and sent in a shot from the slot. Daniel Walcott tallied the secondary helper. Volkov then scored his second of the night with five seconds remaining in the opening frame. He forced a turnover along the boards, skated in and picked the near corner.
The Devils went back on top 19 seconds into the second period. Mikhail Maltsev jammed in the rebound of Chris Conner's left-wing shot as he crashed the net.
The Crunch knotted the game for a second time at 13:20 when Taylor Raddysh went off the far post and in with a shot from the right circle. Mathieu Joseph and Devante Stephens earned points on the equalizer.
Volkov completed the hat trick and gave Syracuse the lead with another power-play goal at the 15:53 mark. Cory Conacher sent the puck down low for Boris Katchouk. He shoveled a backhander across the slot for Volkov to finish off from a sharp angle along the goal line.
The Crunch built a two-goal lead halfway through the final frame after Volkov forced a turnover in the corner and fed Ross Colton for a shot from between the circles.
Nathan Bastian stole one back for the Devils with 54 seconds remaining in the game when he was in front of the net to tuck a rebound behind Condon, but the Crunch halted a comeback effort.
The Crunch return home to host the Utica Comets on Monday at 1 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Dennis Yan has goals in back-to-back games...The Crunch have snapped a six-game road winless streak.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2020
- O'Connor Nets a Pair in Colorado's 4-3 Victory at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Bellerive Guides Pens Past Rampage in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Storm Back to Win in Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Iowa Earns Thrilling 4-3 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Earn Point in OT Loss at Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Blanked by Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Quinney Hat Trick Carries Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Assign Capobianco, Chaput and Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Carey Scores His 100th Goal with Lehigh Valley in 4-0 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Jobst nets power-play goal in Saturday setback at Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Scare off Monsters at Home - Utica Comets
- Monsters End Road Trip with 6-2 Loss in Utica - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Top Wolf Pack in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Alex Volkov Records Hat Trick in 6-5 Win over Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall To Crunch, 6-5 - Binghamton Devils
- Lewington the Difference as Hershey Takes OT Battle - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lorentz Scores Stunning Shootout Winner to Beat Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Scorers Silent in 3-0 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Recall Howdeshell from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Assign Yelesin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- De Leo, Jones and Sprong Join Gulls; Pietila Recalled - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Mitchell Stephens, Luke Schenn to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Returns Goaltender Tomas Sholl to Idaho - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Boat Show Road Trip Rolls Through Charlotte, N.C. - Toronto Marlies
- Mark Friedman Loaned to Phantoms by Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 18, 2020 at Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Heat Host Eagles for Teddy Bear Toss - Stockton Heat
- Condors Conclude Homestand with Girls Rock Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Admirals Assign Savage, Magwood - Milwaukee Admirals
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 37 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Stumble In San Diego To Start Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Petersen Stout in 5-1 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Start Second Half by Topping Powerful Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Six Eagles Light the Lamp in 6-2 Win at Bakersfield - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Slowed by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Fall Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alexey Lipanov to Orlando Solar Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mitchell Stephens from Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Weekly
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Mitchell Stephens to Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch