Sens Storm Back to Win in Grand Rapids
The Belleville Senators overcame a two-goal third period deficit to clinch a 4-3 shootout win Saturday night over the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Parker Kelly, Morgan Klimchuk and Michael Carcone had goals for the Senators while Joey Daccord made a career high 43 saves. Grand Rapids' Dominik Shine, Dennis Cholowski and Evgeny Svechnikov scored for the hosts while Kevin Poulin turned away 27 shots.
Heading into the shootout, Chris Terry gave the Griffins a 1-0 lead through the first round but goals from Vitaly Abramov and Logan Brown, and misses from Joe Velano and Matt Puempel gave Belleville the extra point.
After a scoreless first, it was the Griffins who opened the scoring 3:20 into the second period through Shine before Kelly tied the game at 6:45 with a short-handed goal as he beat Poulin up high. Cholowski would give his side the lead before the end of the period though on a power play marker at 16:58.
Svechnikov pushed the Grand Rapids lead to 3-1 at 5:46 of the third but Belleville got the goal back through Klimchuk's eighth of the year at 10:17.
Carcone tied the game with 6:02 to play to send the game to overtime and eventually a shootout.
Belleville is back in action Monday afternoon when they visit Rockford for the very first time. The Sens aren't home until Jan. 25 when they host the Comets on Bell Let's Talk night. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2020
- O'Connor Nets a Pair in Colorado's 4-3 Victory at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Bellerive Guides Pens Past Rampage in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Storm Back to Win in Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Iowa Earns Thrilling 4-3 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Earn Point in OT Loss at Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Blanked by Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Quinney Hat Trick Carries Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Assign Capobianco, Chaput and Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Carey Scores His 100th Goal with Lehigh Valley in 4-0 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Jobst nets power-play goal in Saturday setback at Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Islanders
- Comets Scare off Monsters at Home - Utica Comets
- Monsters End Road Trip with 6-2 Loss in Utica - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Top Wolf Pack in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Alex Volkov Records Hat Trick in 6-5 Win over Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall To Crunch, 6-5 - Binghamton Devils
- Lewington the Difference as Hershey Takes OT Battle - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lorentz Scores Stunning Shootout Winner to Beat Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Scorers Silent in 3-0 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Recall Howdeshell from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Assign Yelesin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- De Leo, Jones and Sprong Join Gulls; Pietila Recalled - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Mitchell Stephens, Luke Schenn to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Returns Goaltender Tomas Sholl to Idaho - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Boat Show Road Trip Rolls Through Charlotte, N.C. - Toronto Marlies
- Mark Friedman Loaned to Phantoms by Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 18, 2020 at Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Heat Host Eagles for Teddy Bear Toss - Stockton Heat
- Condors Conclude Homestand with Girls Rock Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Admirals Assign Savage, Magwood - Milwaukee Admirals
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 37 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Stumble In San Diego To Start Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Petersen Stout in 5-1 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Start Second Half by Topping Powerful Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Six Eagles Light the Lamp in 6-2 Win at Bakersfield - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Slowed by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Fall Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Belleville Senators Seeking Rental Properties for Players
- Belleville Senators Acquire Jake Lucchini from Laval
- Belleville Senators Cleared for Full Capacity at CAA Arena, with Single Game Tickets on Sale October 12
- Belleville Senators Announce 34-Player 2021-22 Training Camp Roster
- CJBQ Returns as Belleville Sens Official Broadcast Partner