Carey Scores His 100th Goal with Lehigh Valley in 4-0 Win
Lehigh Valley, Pa. - The Lehigh Valley Phantoms (18-19-1-4) completed a sweep of their five-game home stand on Saturday night, defeating the Rochester Americans (21-12-2-4) by a score of 4-0. Continuing a stretch of strong offensive play by the Phantoms, Greg Carey scored two goals in the game, including his 100th goal as a Phantom and goalie J-F Berube recorded his second shutout of the week with 20 saves in the win.
The Phantoms jumped out to a 1-0 lead for the fifth consecutive game at the 5:48 mark in the first period, when Greg Carey netted a power-play goal, his 11th of the season. Morgan Frost took a wrist shot from the top of the right circle, which was redirected across the crease by Cal O'Reilly and knocked in by Carey.
Max Willman scored the second goal of the game, and his second of the season at the 13:32 mark of the period. Chris Bigras gathered the puck behind the net in the defensive zone before feeding it to Kyle Criscuolo. Criscuolo then passed it across the ice to Willman, who shot it in above the glove of Rochester goalie Andrew Hammond. The assist extended Criscuolo's point streak to three games.
With just over ten minutes gone by in the second period, Greg Carey scored his second goal of the game, and 100th goal with Lehigh Valley to make the score 3-0. David Kase picked up the puck before Hammond could reach it and passed it to Carey, who had a lot of open net to work with as he shot it in before Hammond could regain his position. Carey became the first player to score 100 goals with Lehigh Valley, and moves him into a tie with Kirby Law for third place in goals scored in Phantoms franchise history.
Mikail Vorobyev tacked on another goal at the 14:46 mark in the third period. Isaac Ratcliffe gained possession behind the net before passing it out to Vorobyev, who wristed it in. The play was initially called no goal, but was changed upon further review, as the puck hit the top interior of the net. Ratcliffe tallied his third point in two nights with the assist.
The win extends the Phantoms' streak to five, and it was also the third consecutive game in which they scored four goals, a feat they had not accomplished since the 2017-18 season.
It was also the fourth time in five games that the Phantoms allowed one or fewer goals.
Goalie J-F Berube notched his fourth consecutive win, and second shutout in that span. Alex Lyon also recorded a shutout at the beginning of the five-game homestand.
LV -- 5:48 Greg Carey (11) (O'Reilly, Frost)
LV -- 13:32 Max Willman (2) (Criscuolo, Bigras)
LV -- 10:28 Greg Carey (12) (Kase, Wotherspoon)
LV --14:46 Mikhail Vorobyev (7) (Ratcliffe, Rubtsov)
1st: Greg Carey (2 Goals)
2nd: J-F Berube (20-Save Shutout)
3rd: Max Willman (1 Goal)
NEXT TIME OUT: The Phantoms will kick off a five-game road trip on January 22 when they take on the Providence Bruins at 6:05 p.m. Providence defeated Lehigh Valley on October 5, the only meeting between the two teams this season.
Images from this story
Lehigh Valley Phantoms left wing Greg Carey
Lehigh Valley Phantoms goaltender J-F Berube vs. the Rochester Americans
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2020
- O'Connor Nets a Pair in Colorado's 4-3 Victory at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Bellerive Guides Pens Past Rampage in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Storm Back to Win in Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Iowa Earns Thrilling 4-3 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Earn Point in OT Loss at Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Blanked by Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Quinney Hat Trick Carries Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Assign Capobianco, Chaput and Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Carey Scores His 100th Goal with Lehigh Valley in 4-0 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Jobst nets power-play goal in Saturday setback at Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Scare off Monsters at Home - Utica Comets
- Monsters End Road Trip with 6-2 Loss in Utica - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Top Wolf Pack in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Alex Volkov Records Hat Trick in 6-5 Win over Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall To Crunch, 6-5 - Binghamton Devils
- Lewington the Difference as Hershey Takes OT Battle - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lorentz Scores Stunning Shootout Winner to Beat Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Scorers Silent in 3-0 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Recall Howdeshell from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Assign Yelesin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- De Leo, Jones and Sprong Join Gulls; Pietila Recalled - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Mitchell Stephens, Luke Schenn to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Returns Goaltender Tomas Sholl to Idaho - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Boat Show Road Trip Rolls Through Charlotte, N.C. - Toronto Marlies
- Mark Friedman Loaned to Phantoms by Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 18, 2020 at Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Heat Host Eagles for Teddy Bear Toss - Stockton Heat
- Condors Conclude Homestand with Girls Rock Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Admirals Assign Savage, Magwood - Milwaukee Admirals
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 37 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Stumble In San Diego To Start Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Petersen Stout in 5-1 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Start Second Half by Topping Powerful Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Six Eagles Light the Lamp in 6-2 Win at Bakersfield - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Slowed by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Fall Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley Phantoms Stories
- PPL Center Selected to Host NCAA DI Men's Ice Hockey Regionals in 2022, 2023, and 2025
- Phantoms Sign D Logan Day to a One-Year Deal
- Flyers Sign Alex Lyon to a One-Year Contract Extension
- Flyers Sign Nicolas Aube-Kubel to a Two-Year Contract Extension
- Phantoms Sign Two Forwards to AHL Contracts