Icemen Move Back into First with 2-1 Win over Stingrays
JACKSONVILLE, FL- The Jacksonville Icemen defeated the South Carolina Stingrays 2-1 with Icemen goaltender Justin Kapelmaster making 27 saves to get the win. Jacksonville got tallies from forward Luke Lynch and defenseman Jacob Friend.
Both teams got off to a good defensive start in the game as each team was vying for possession. The Icemen had the first penalty of the game as defenseman Jacob Friend was sent to the penalty box. While shorthanded, forward Luke Lynch made a great defensive play which sent Jacksonville on a partial 2 on 1, where forward Derek Lodermeier passed the puck to a diving Lynch, and he buried it to give us the early lead. The Icemen killed off the penalty, however, the Stingrays would score minutes later to tie up the game. With seven minutes left in the period, the Icemen won an offensive zone draw and the puck was lost in the slot and forward Bauer Neudecker corralled the puck and passed it to Friend at the point and he would beat the goaltender to take another lead. Late in the period, defenseman Sean Giles and a Stingrays player got tangled up and were each sent off to the penalty box. Heading into the first intermission, Jacksonville leads 2-1 while leading in shots on goal 12-10.
The Icemen got off to a good start in the second period and because of that they drew a penalty and had a powerplay early in the frame. The Icemen were unable to convert on the man advantage and moments later, Lynch was called for Jacksonville which sent us on the penalty kill. Jacksonville was able to fend off the South Carolina powerplay and we went back to full strength. The remainder of the period featured great defensive play with each time vying for possession and neutral zone play to gain an edge in play. Heading into the second intermission the Icemen lead 2-1 while outshooting the Stingrays 24-20.
The Icemen got off to a good start in the third period as well, as they had two early powerplay opportunities, one right after another. However, the Icemen were unable to capitalize but they could use the special teams play to gain some momentum. Jacksonville would then get called for two penalties, back-to-back, on defensemen Zach Berzolla and Jacob Panetta. Jacksonville's penalty killers showed up big in order to protect their lead and help out goaltender Justin Kapelmaster. The Stingrays would pull their goaltender to make it 6 on 5 so the Icemen had to be keen on defense, but Jacksonville was fantastic defensively to secure the win. The Icemen won 2-1 while leading in shots on goal 30-28.
The Icemen are back at home on Saturday, January 22nd at 7pm versus the South Carolina Stingrays.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2022
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Middle Game 4-1 over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Growlers Fall 4-2 to the Mavericks - Newfoundland Growlers
- Tulsa Shuts Down Thunder on Saturday Night - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Victorious 3-2 over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Drop Overtime Thriller - South Carolina Stingrays
- Kalamazoo Can't Complete Comeback in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Late Goal Lifts Iowa, 4-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mannella Grabs Shutout in Cruical Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Widmar Scores with 2:37 Left to Sink Wheeling, 4-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Cyclones Blanked by Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Perkovich Nets Game-Winner in 3-2 Victory - Florida Everblades
- Glads Lose Late Lead in Weekend Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-Goal Night Gives Indy Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Road Win Streak Ends in 3-1 Loss to Mariners - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gooch, Low Propel Royals over Lions in First-Ever Meeting at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Brodeur, Santos Lead Mariners to Gritty Win over Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Lions Lose a Close One in Reading - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Boucher, Henry and Miner Return to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 22 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Miner, Boucher and Henry Return for Saturday Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 22, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: Rodeo Night vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Marlies Assign Goaltender Ian Scott to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, January 22, 2022 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Icemen Move Back into First with 2-1 Win over Stingrays - Jacksonville Icemen
- Second Game in Two Days for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades Look to Bounce Back Saturday Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads and Blades Collide for Second Time this Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Penner and Company Leads Grizz to 6-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Drop Steelheads, 5-2, for Fourth-Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Utah 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Opens Weekend with OT Loss vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Late Comeback Surge Stifled, Steelheads Slip 5-2 to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Win Fourth Overtime Game of the Campaign - Tulsa Oilers
- Kalamazoo Falls Short in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Score 9 Goals in Missouri - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.