Penner and Company Leads Grizz to 6-4 Win
West Valley City, Utah - Tyler Penner had 2 goals and 1 assist and Mason Mannek, Brian Bowen and Ben Tardif each had 1 goal and 1 assist in the Utah Grizzlies 6-4 win over the Allen Americans on a Friday night at Maverik Center.
Allen scored 36 seconds into the contest as Chad Costello scored his 16th of the season. Luke Martin scored 5:28 in against Allen goaltender Hayden Lavigne. Martin and Lavigne were college teammates for 4 seasons at the University of Michigan from 2016-2020. Allen retook the lead 8:11 in as Jared Bethune scored is first of two goals on the evening. Mason Mannek scored from the right circle with 55 seconds left in the first to tie the game at 2-2. Tyler Penner gave Utah a lead with 7 seconds left as Utah led 3-2 after 20 minutes of play.
Utah extended the lead as Penner scored his 2nd of the game 2:34 into the second period on a breakaway. The goal came 2 seconds after an Allen power play ended. Bethune scored his 2nd of the game for Allen 7:10 into the second. Brian Bowen scored his 10th of the season 11:53 in to extend Utah's lead to 5-3. Utah led by 2 after 2 periods. The Grizz are now 16-0 when leading after 2 periods.
Ben Tardif scored 7:43 into the third period to make it a 6-3 game. Chad Costello scored his 2nd of the night for Allen with 12 seconds left in regulation in a 5 on 3 power play to conclude the scoring. Allen went 1 for 7 on the power play while Utah went 0 for 4.
Cole Kehler got the win for Utah in net as he saved 24 of 28 in his home debut. Kehler is now 3-1-0-1 in a Grizzlies uniform. Allen's Hayden Lavigne saved 26 of 32 in the loss.
Zac Robbins, Mason Mannek and Luke Martin were each a +3 for Utah, who now has won 8 of their last 9 home games and they extend their lead in the Mountain Division as they now have a points percentage of .649 with Tulsa taking over 2nd place with a .561 points percentage. Allen falls from 3rd to 5th place in the division as their points percentage is .532.
Utah is now 3-0 against Allen this season. The Grizz won back-to-back overtime games in Allen earlier in the season on October 30th and 31st.
The middle game of the 3 game weekend series is on Saturday night at 7:10 pm. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com or by calling (801) 988-8000.
1. Tyler Penner (Utah) - 2 goals, 1 assist, +2. 4 shots.
2. Mason Mannek (Utah) - Gordie Howe Hat Trick. +3.
3. Brian Bowen (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist, +2.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2022
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Middle Game 4-1 over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Growlers Fall 4-2 to the Mavericks - Newfoundland Growlers
- Tulsa Shuts Down Thunder on Saturday Night - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Victorious 3-2 over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Drop Overtime Thriller - South Carolina Stingrays
- Kalamazoo Can't Complete Comeback in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Late Goal Lifts Iowa, 4-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mannella Grabs Shutout in Cruical Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Widmar Scores with 2:37 Left to Sink Wheeling, 4-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Cyclones Blanked by Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Perkovich Nets Game-Winner in 3-2 Victory - Florida Everblades
- Glads Lose Late Lead in Weekend Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-Goal Night Gives Indy Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Road Win Streak Ends in 3-1 Loss to Mariners - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gooch, Low Propel Royals over Lions in First-Ever Meeting at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Brodeur, Santos Lead Mariners to Gritty Win over Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Lions Lose a Close One in Reading - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Boucher, Henry and Miner Return to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 22 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Miner, Boucher and Henry Return for Saturday Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 22, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: Rodeo Night vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Marlies Assign Goaltender Ian Scott to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, January 22, 2022 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Icemen Move Back into First with 2-1 Win over Stingrays - Jacksonville Icemen
- Second Game in Two Days for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades Look to Bounce Back Saturday Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads and Blades Collide for Second Time this Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Penner and Company Leads Grizz to 6-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Drop Steelheads, 5-2, for Fourth-Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Utah 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Opens Weekend with OT Loss vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Late Comeback Surge Stifled, Steelheads Slip 5-2 to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Win Fourth Overtime Game of the Campaign - Tulsa Oilers
- Kalamazoo Falls Short in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Score 9 Goals in Missouri - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Grizzlies Stories
- Grizz Win 5-1 to Advance to Western Conference Finals
- Grizz Look to Reach Conference Finals for First Time Since 2008
- Rush Blanks Grizz 3-0 to Extend Playoff Series
- Rush Defeat Grizz 3-0 to Extend Series to 6th Game
- Grizzlies Gameday: Game 5 in the Black Hills. Utah Leads Series 3-1