Steelheads Strike Early, Take Middle Game 4-1 over Rush
RAPID CITY, S.D. - The Idaho Steelheads (20-15-1) struck early to make the difference in a 4-1 win over the Rapid City Rush (18-15-5) on Saturday night from The Monument.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
The Steelheads wasted no time in pushing the effort for a rebound game. Forward Yauheni Aksiantsiuk (3:17 1st) added another tally to his weekend from the right circle to take a 1-0 lead. Forward Shawn McBride (5:43 1st), who fed Aksiantsiuk for the first tally, was rewarded with a goal of his own minutes later for the two-goal advantage. The Rush and Steelheads traded turnovers leading to goals with the Rush getting theirs toward the end of the opening period and forward Zach Walker (7:34 2nd) converting on a cough up by the netminder for a 3-1 lead. The final goal game as the last insurance tally thanks to a shot from the center line by forward Chase Zieky (EN, 18:55 3rd) to seal the 4-1 win.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. IDH - Colton Point (W, 34-35 saved)
2. IDH - Shawn McBride (goal, assist)
3. RC - Ryan Valentini (goal)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Shawn McBride (F) - game-winner, assist
- Yauheni Aksiantsiuk: Aksiantsiuk remained hot, adding another goal for three tallies in two games and, for a time, having the only goals on the weekend in Rapid City. He now leads the Steelheads in goals (14) on the season and added an assist on the final goal of the night.
- Shawn McBride: McBride came up with his fourth multi-point game of the season while factoring in on the opening two tallies. His career season improves to 19 points (5-14-19).
- Colton Point: Point rebounded from his previous result, halting a season-best 34 shots in the victory. He now owns wins in three of four games.
CATCH OF THE DAY
The Steelheads completed the first half of the season with a 20-15-0-1 record and sitting securely in third in the Mountain Division. The Steelheads earn 10 wins in back-to-back quarters of the season, finishing with a 10-8-0-0 record, only trailing their first quarter record by one point. While the Steelheads have slipped more often of late, the team has won four of five games in the second contest of the weekend heading into tomorrow. The Steelheads will play 10 of their 18 games in the third quarter at Idaho Central Arena with four of their next five contests in Boise.
The Steelheads and Rush finish their three-in-three weekend on Sunday, Jan. 23 at 4:05 p.m. from The Monument. Coverage begins at 3:45 p.m. on 95.3 KTIK "The Ticket" & FloHockey.tv.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2022
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Middle Game 4-1 over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Growlers Fall 4-2 to the Mavericks - Newfoundland Growlers
- Tulsa Shuts Down Thunder on Saturday Night - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Victorious 3-2 over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Drop Overtime Thriller - South Carolina Stingrays
- Kalamazoo Can't Complete Comeback in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Late Goal Lifts Iowa, 4-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mannella Grabs Shutout in Cruical Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Widmar Scores with 2:37 Left to Sink Wheeling, 4-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Cyclones Blanked by Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Perkovich Nets Game-Winner in 3-2 Victory - Florida Everblades
- Glads Lose Late Lead in Weekend Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-Goal Night Gives Indy Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Road Win Streak Ends in 3-1 Loss to Mariners - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gooch, Low Propel Royals over Lions in First-Ever Meeting at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Brodeur, Santos Lead Mariners to Gritty Win over Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Lions Lose a Close One in Reading - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Boucher, Henry and Miner Return to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 22 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Miner, Boucher and Henry Return for Saturday Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 22, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: Rodeo Night vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Marlies Assign Goaltender Ian Scott to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, January 22, 2022 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Icemen Move Back into First with 2-1 Win over Stingrays - Jacksonville Icemen
- Second Game in Two Days for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades Look to Bounce Back Saturday Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads and Blades Collide for Second Time this Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Penner and Company Leads Grizz to 6-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Drop Steelheads, 5-2, for Fourth-Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Utah 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Opens Weekend with OT Loss vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Late Comeback Surge Stifled, Steelheads Slip 5-2 to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Win Fourth Overtime Game of the Campaign - Tulsa Oilers
- Kalamazoo Falls Short in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Score 9 Goals in Missouri - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.