Growlers Score 9 Goals in Missouri
After a 21-day midseason break due to cancellations and postponements due to COVID-19, the Growlers returned to the ice in Independence, Missouri to take on the Kansas City Mavericks Friday night where the Growlers skated to a 9-4 victory in front of 2,821 fans at the Cable Dahmer Arena.
Zach O'Brien opened the scoring with a powerplay goal 11:23 into the first period when he ripped a one-timer past Mavericks goaltender Daniil Chechele. Garret Clarke of the Mavericks responded just 3 minutes later to tie the game at 1 after he slid the puck past Growlers Goalie Andrew D'Agostini, who joined the club just a day earlier.
The second period was a goal-scoring clinic as both clubs combined for 6 goals. The scoring rush was led by Orrin Centazzo and Isaac Johnson who both recorded 2 goals in the frame, Ben Finklestein added the 5th Growlers goal of the period. With just 50 seconds left in the frame, the Mavericks responded with a goal of their own as Marcus Crawford potted a powerplay goal. The Growlers took a 6-2 lead into the dressing room after 40 minutes of play.
Zach O'Brien kept the Growlers scoring mode engaged as he found the back of the net ten minutes into the final period of play with his second of the game, tucking the puck short-side on Mavericks goalie Andrew Shortridge who started the third period in relief of Daniil Chechele. Shortridge continued to face an onslaught of goalscoring when Orrin Centazzo deflected a point shot from Noel Hoefenmayer to register his first Growlers hat trick. The Mavericks responded with two quick goals from Ben Johnson and Willie Corrin but Isaac Johnson, clearly jealous of Centazzo's Hat Trick, blasted in his own third goal of the game to cap off a 9-4 victory for the well-rested Growlers.
The Growlers went 5-for-8 on the power play. That's the most PPG scored by one team in a game this season.
Orrin Centazzo and Issac Johnson both registered Hat-Tricks. Orrin Centazzo finished with 5 points (3g, 2a)
Andrew D'Agostini made 23 saves in his Growlers debut.
1. NFL - O. Centazzo
2. NFL - Z. O'Brien
3. NFL - I. Johnson
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2022
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Middle Game 4-1 over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Growlers Fall 4-2 to the Mavericks - Newfoundland Growlers
- Tulsa Shuts Down Thunder on Saturday Night - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Victorious 3-2 over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Drop Overtime Thriller - South Carolina Stingrays
- Kalamazoo Can't Complete Comeback in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Late Goal Lifts Iowa, 4-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mannella Grabs Shutout in Cruical Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Widmar Scores with 2:37 Left to Sink Wheeling, 4-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Cyclones Blanked by Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Perkovich Nets Game-Winner in 3-2 Victory - Florida Everblades
- Glads Lose Late Lead in Weekend Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-Goal Night Gives Indy Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Road Win Streak Ends in 3-1 Loss to Mariners - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gooch, Low Propel Royals over Lions in First-Ever Meeting at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Brodeur, Santos Lead Mariners to Gritty Win over Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Lions Lose a Close One in Reading - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Boucher, Henry and Miner Return to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 22 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Miner, Boucher and Henry Return for Saturday Showdown - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 22, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: Rodeo Night vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Marlies Assign Goaltender Ian Scott to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, January 22, 2022 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Icemen Move Back into First with 2-1 Win over Stingrays - Jacksonville Icemen
- Second Game in Two Days for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades Look to Bounce Back Saturday Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads and Blades Collide for Second Time this Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Penner and Company Leads Grizz to 6-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Drop Steelheads, 5-2, for Fourth-Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Utah 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Opens Weekend with OT Loss vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Late Comeback Surge Stifled, Steelheads Slip 5-2 to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Win Fourth Overtime Game of the Campaign - Tulsa Oilers
- Kalamazoo Falls Short in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Score 9 Goals in Missouri - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.