Hogberg Benefits from Time in Ottawa
It was a teaser but for Marcus Hogberg, his four games in the NHL with Ottawa was a tremendous learning experience.
In four starts, Hogberg compiled an 0-2-1 record after getting the nod against Washington in his NHL debut on Dec. 29 before also facing Columbus, Vancouver and Carolina.
"It was great," Hogberg said of his time with Ottawa. "There was lots of learning and it was a good time.
"It was tough but it was fun too."
The 24-year-old, a third-round pick of Ottawa in 2013, faced some elite scorers during his short NHL stint including Alexander Ovechkin, Cam Atkinson, Elias Pettersson and Sebastian Aho, amongst others, but was pleased with his performance against some of the NHL's best.
"It's the next level and there are a lot of good players out there," Hogberg said. "It was a good test for me to see where I am."
The opportunity also presented Hogberg with the chance to work with and learn from Craig Anderson, Anders Nilsson and Mike McKenna as well as Sens goaltending coach Pierre Groulx.
"I wanted to take my chance to see and learn from the other goalies," Hogberg said. "I had good people around me and Pierre and I worked on some small things to help my game too."
During Hogberg's recall, which took place Dec. 27 before his reassignment Thursday, Belleville heavily relied on Filip Gustavsson between the pipes who has played in nine straight games for the Sens that has included eight starts.
And Hogberg noticed the performance his Swedish teammate turned in over the past three weeks.
"He played really good and I'm going to work really hard to deserve games here" Hogberg said. "It's a competition between Gus and I for games so I have to be ready every time I step on the ice."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Crunch Snap Five-Game Skid with 5-3 Victory over Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Redmond Ties Franchise Record, Has Career-High Four-Point Night in 5-4 Win over Penguins - Rochester Americans
- Wild and High-Scoring See-Saw Battle at Hartford - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Tops Lehigh Valley in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Lose to Americans, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Win 2-1 in First Shootout of Season - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Stymied in 1-0 Road Loss to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Comeback Falls Short in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Devils Streak Ends in 5-3 Loss at Utica - Binghamton Devils
- Depth Prevails in Comets Win over Devils - Utica Comets
- HEAT NEWS Heat Sign Rob Hamilton to Standard Player's Contract - Stockton Heat
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Louie Belpedio - Iowa Wild
- Sunday's Game against Hershey Moved to Monday, January 21 at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sunday's Game at Bridgeport Moved to Monday at 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Joel L'Esperance Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Texas Stars
- Dallas Stars Recall Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Andrew Poturalski Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Charlotte Checkers
- Grosenick Selected for AHL All-Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game #35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Logan Shaw Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Hogberg Benefits from Time in Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Poturalski, Shaw, Grosenick, L'Esperance Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Rosters - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan F Juho Lammikko to Springfield Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Reign Sign Craig Wyszomirski to PTO - Ontario Reign
- Rangers Recall Marek Mazanec from Hartford, Assign Alexandar Georgiev - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Look to Take Back End of Two-Game Set at Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Bears Sign Jordan Samuels-Thomas to AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils Announce Game Time Change for January 19 - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Change: Saturday's Game vs. Syracuse Changed to 5:05 p.m. Start - Binghamton Devils
- Promotions Set for Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Recall Cederholm, Sign Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Dollar Hot Dogs Tonight at the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Paterson Loaned Back to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sunday's P-Bruins Game Postponed Due to Weather; Rescheduled for Monday - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Road Game Postponed - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Comets Announce Game Time Change - Utica Comets
- Thunderbirds Visit Two Division Rivals Friday and Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Hitchcock Loaned to Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Sens Offering Flash Sale on 2019-20 Season Tickets and Flex Packages
- Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation to Benefit from Sens' Donation
- Sens Present $100,000 to Five Local Charities
- Belleville Well Represented at IIHF World Championships
- Winters Uses Senators Experience to Kick Start Career