Crunch Snap Five-Game Skid with 5-3 Victory over Senators
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch snapped a five-game winless streak with a 5-3 victory over the Belleville Senators tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
Syracuse built a three-goal lead before Belleville climbed back to even the score in the third period. Alexander Volkov potted the game-winner late in the game before Dennis Yan added an empty-netter to secure the win. The Crunch are now 22-13-2-1 on the season and 3-0 in the six-game season series with the Senators.
Eddie Pasquale recorded the win turning aside 19-of-22 shots in net for the Crunch. Marcus Hogberg stopped 26-of-30 between the pipes for the Senators. Syracuse converted on 2-of-5 power-play opportunities and shut down 4-of-5 Belleville man-advantages.
The Crunch built a two-goal lead off back-to-back power-play goals in the first period. Carter Verhaeghe opened scoring just 1:03 into the game when he stickhandled down the right wing and fired from the slot. Cal Foote earned a point for the assist. Syracuse then doubled their lead at the 4:01 mark. Nolan Valleau set up Cory Conacher for a one-timer from the right circle. His attempt was stopped, but Andy Andreoff was there to clean up the rebound into an open net.
Ross Colton added his seventh of the season four minutes into the second period to put the Crunch up by three. After he tipped Valleau's shot from the high slot, the puck deflected off a Senator's helmet, over Hogberg and into the net.
The Senators finally responded two minutes later with a power-play goal of their own. Filip Chlapik found the back of the net through traffic from between the circles with help of Stefan Elliott and Cody Goloubef.
Belleville pulled within one with 13 seconds remaining in the middle stanza. Jordan Murray threw a cross-zone pass from the left boards for Jack Rodewald to redirect in as he came streaking down the right wing.
The Senators came back to knot the game at three a side 6:07 into the final frame. Morgan Klimchuck one-timed a quick pass from Rodewald as they entered the zone.
The Crunch went back on top with 7:36 remaining in the game. Volkov netted the eventual game-winner from the right faceoff dot off a feed from Cameron Gaunce. Boris Katchouk tallied a point with the secondary helper. Yan then added his empty-net insurance marker with a minute remaining off assists from Conacher and Gabriel Dumont.
The Crunch will travel to Binghamton to face the Devils tomorrow at 5:05 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Nolan Valleau recorded his first two-point game since Dec. 30, 2016...Carter Verhaeghe has tied a career-high with 17 goals...Cameron Gaunce has 13 assists in his last 12 games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Crunch Snap Five-Game Skid with 5-3 Victory over Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Redmond Ties Franchise Record, Has Career-High Four-Point Night in 5-4 Win over Penguins - Rochester Americans
- Wild and High-Scoring See-Saw Battle at Hartford - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Tops Lehigh Valley in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Lose to Americans, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Win 2-1 in First Shootout of Season - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Stymied in 1-0 Road Loss to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Comeback Falls Short in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Devils Streak Ends in 5-3 Loss at Utica - Binghamton Devils
- Depth Prevails in Comets Win over Devils - Utica Comets
- HEAT NEWS Heat Sign Rob Hamilton to Standard Player's Contract - Stockton Heat
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Louie Belpedio - Iowa Wild
- Sunday's Game against Hershey Moved to Monday, January 21 at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sunday's Game at Bridgeport Moved to Monday at 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Joel L'Esperance Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Texas Stars
- Dallas Stars Recall Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Andrew Poturalski Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Charlotte Checkers
- Grosenick Selected for AHL All-Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game #35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Logan Shaw Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Hogberg Benefits from Time in Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Poturalski, Shaw, Grosenick, L'Esperance Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Rosters - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan F Juho Lammikko to Springfield Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Reign Sign Craig Wyszomirski to PTO - Ontario Reign
- Rangers Recall Marek Mazanec from Hartford, Assign Alexandar Georgiev - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Look to Take Back End of Two-Game Set at Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Bears Sign Jordan Samuels-Thomas to AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils Announce Game Time Change for January 19 - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Change: Saturday's Game vs. Syracuse Changed to 5:05 p.m. Start - Binghamton Devils
- Promotions Set for Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Recall Cederholm, Sign Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Dollar Hot Dogs Tonight at the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Paterson Loaned Back to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sunday's P-Bruins Game Postponed Due to Weather; Rescheduled for Monday - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Road Game Postponed - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Comets Announce Game Time Change - Utica Comets
- Thunderbirds Visit Two Division Rivals Friday and Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Hitchcock Loaned to Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Training Camp Schedule and Exhibition Game
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Training Camp Roster
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Four from Orlando Solar Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Assign Forward Boo Nieves to Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with CNY Central - NBC3, CBS5 & CW6 to Televise 2020-21 Home Games