Depth Prevails in Comets Win over Devils
Utica, N.Y. - Five different players scored as the Comets took down the Binghamton Devils 5-3 Friday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Kole Lind, Evan McEneny, Brendan Gaunce, Brendan Woods, and Carter Bancks all scored for Utica. Ivan Kulbakov made 29 saves in the win.
The Devils started the night's scoring when Eric Gryba's shot from the point found its way past Kulbakov 21 seconds into the game. The Comets responded with eight minutes to go in the first when Kole Lind forced a turnover and ripped a shot past Devils goalie Cam Johnson. Nathan Bastian put the Devils back on top five minutes later. McEneny tied the game at two when his long shot caromed off a Devils defender and into the net. Reid Boucher and Adam Gaudette tallied the assists.
The Comets and Devils traded chances all throughout the second period, but neither team could cash-in their chances. The Comets finally broke through with under a minute to go in the period when Gaunce took a gorgeous feed from Zack MacEwen and buried a one-timer to extend his point streak to nine games. Guillaume Brisebois also recorded an assist on the goal.
Woods pushed the lead to 4-2 early in the third, sneaking behind the defense and firing a wrister over the pad of Johnson. Jonah Gadjovich and McEneny had the assists. Carter Bancks continued the onslaught two minutes later, corralling a loose puck in front and depositing a backhand shot into the top corner. McEneny and Cam Darcy collected the assists. Nick Saracino cut the lead to 5-3 minutes later. The Comets slammed the door on Binghamton from there to come away with the win.
The Comets are back in action tomorrow night when they take on the Belleville Senators for the final night of the Save of the Day Week. Puck drop at the Adirondack Bank Center is at a special time of 2 p.m. due to the pending snowstorm. Fans are encouraged to use the ticket exchange site, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Crunch Snap Five-Game Skid with 5-3 Victory over Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Redmond Ties Franchise Record, Has Career-High Four-Point Night in 5-4 Win over Penguins - Rochester Americans
- Wild and High-Scoring See-Saw Battle at Hartford - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Tops Lehigh Valley in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Lose to Americans, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Win 2-1 in First Shootout of Season - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Stymied in 1-0 Road Loss to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Comeback Falls Short in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Devils Streak Ends in 5-3 Loss at Utica - Binghamton Devils
- Depth Prevails in Comets Win over Devils - Utica Comets
- HEAT NEWS Heat Sign Rob Hamilton to Standard Player's Contract - Stockton Heat
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Louie Belpedio - Iowa Wild
- Sunday's Game against Hershey Moved to Monday, January 21 at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sunday's Game at Bridgeport Moved to Monday at 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Joel L'Esperance Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Texas Stars
- Dallas Stars Recall Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Andrew Poturalski Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - Charlotte Checkers
- Grosenick Selected for AHL All-Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game #35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Logan Shaw Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Hogberg Benefits from Time in Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Poturalski, Shaw, Grosenick, L'Esperance Added to 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Rosters - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan F Juho Lammikko to Springfield Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Reign Sign Craig Wyszomirski to PTO - Ontario Reign
- Rangers Recall Marek Mazanec from Hartford, Assign Alexandar Georgiev - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Look to Take Back End of Two-Game Set at Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Bears Sign Jordan Samuels-Thomas to AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils Announce Game Time Change for January 19 - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Change: Saturday's Game vs. Syracuse Changed to 5:05 p.m. Start - Binghamton Devils
- Promotions Set for Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Recall Cederholm, Sign Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Dollar Hot Dogs Tonight at the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Paterson Loaned Back to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sunday's P-Bruins Game Postponed Due to Weather; Rescheduled for Monday - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Road Game Postponed - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, January 18 - Belleville Senators
- Comets Announce Game Time Change - Utica Comets
- Thunderbirds Visit Two Division Rivals Friday and Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Hitchcock Loaned to Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Comets Keep Turkey Delivery an Annual Tradition
- MASL November Update
- Comets and Adirondack Bank Center to Host CNY Veteran's Outreach Center Food Donation Event
- Canucks Sign Defenseman Guillaume Brisebois to a One-Year, Two Way Contract
- Canucks Sign Center Jayce Hawryluk to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract