Checkers Rally in 3rd to Top Phantoms
Charlotte, NC - Linus Sandin (5th) gave the Phantoms a 1-0 lead just past the midway mark but the Charlotte Checkers rallied with four goals in the third period in a 4-1 win over the Phantoms on Saturday afternoon at Bojangles' Coliseum.
The setback is just the second regulation loss in the last 13 games for the Phantoms who are 8-2-3 in their current run.
Felix Sandstrom (4-9-3) was on top of his game to start with two big breakaway denials in the first period robbing Max McCormick and Kole Lind. But Sandstrom couldn't come up with the answers down the stretch with Connor Carrick (5th), Kole Lind (11th) and captain Zac Dalpe (13th) turning the tables on the Phantoms with a quick spurt of three goals in five minutes. Alex True (8th) capped the victory with an empty-netter. McCormick drove the offense with three assists.
Linus Sandin stayed hot with his fifth goal in the last six games and his fourth goal in the last nine days. Cooper Zech found Connor Bunnaman in the slot whose shot hit off a Charlotte leg and bounced over to Sandin to the right of the goal-mouth. Charlotte goalie Billy Christopolous was unable to scramble into position in time allowing Sandin to put the Phantoms in front with 6:52 remaining in the second period.
Lehigh Valley (11-13-8) out shot the Checkers 10-4 in the middle period and had the better of the play.
But Charlotte(19-14-2) surged back beginning with a shorthanded rush for Connor Carrick off a Max McCormick faceoff win. Just nine seconds into the Phantoms' power play, Carrick shot on the rush from the right circle and beat Sandstrom five-hole to forge a 1-1 tie at 3:24 into the third period.
Kole Lind scored on a goal-mouth scramble after McCormick's pass from behind the goal hit off a Phantoms' leg. Sandstrom tried to come up with the cover but Lind dug the puck away to elevate it over the bodies in the crease giving the hosts the lead for the first time in the game at 2-1 with 12:45 remaining in the third.
Just 67 seconds later it was Zac Dalpe elevating a backhander on the rush from the left circle eluding Sandstrom's glove hand for a 3-1.
Lehigh Valley briefly thought they had scored with about 7:00 left when Connor Bunnaman's wrap-around was alive and Raleigh native Billy Christopolous perhaps carried it into the net with help from Garrett Wilson and Hayden Hodgson. But the play was whistled down and was ruled not a goal for the Phantoms.
Alex True finished the victory with his empty-net strike with 1:29 left.
Charlotte improved to 4-1-0 against the Phantoms.
The Phantoms and Checkers will rematch on Sunday at 1:00 at Bojangles' Coliseum in Lehigh Valley's last game in North Carolina this season. The Checkers still have two games in Allentown in March remaining on the schedule.
Lehigh Valley's next home game is Sunday, January 30 at 5:05 p.m. against the Hershey Bears on meLVin Kids Activity Book Night.
2nd 13:08 - LV, L. Sandin (5) (C. Bunnaman, C. Zech) 1-0
3rd 3:24 - CLT, C. Carrick (5) (M. McCormick) (SH) 1-1
3rd 7:15 - CLT, K. Lind (11) (M. McCormick, N. Kneen) 1-2
3rd 8:22 - CLT, Z. Dalpe (13) (S. Wilson, L. Hutsko) 1-3
3rd 18:31 - CLT, A. True (8) (M. McCormick, K. Lind) (EN) 1-4
LV 29 - CLT 20
LV 0/3, CLT 0/3
LV - Felix Sandstrom (L) (4-9-3) (16/19)
CLT - Billy Christopolous (W) (2-0-0) (28/29)
Lehigh Valley (11-13-8)
The Phantoms return to action on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. and Sunday at 1:00 p.m. with a pair of contests at the Charlotte Checkers. Lehigh Valley's next home game is Sunday, January 30 at 5:05 p.m. hosting the Hershey Bears on meLVin Kids Activity Book Night.
Tickets for upcoming Phantoms games are available HERE
Stay current with the latest Phantoms news with the Phantoms 365 app available for Apple and Android devices and at www.phantomshockey.com and follow the team on Facebook (www.facebook.com/lehighvalleyphantoms), Twitter (@lvphantoms), Instagram (@lehighvalleyphantoms).
Images from this story
Lehigh Valley Phantoms right wing Linus Sandin (right) vs. the Charlotte Checkers
Lehigh Valley Phantoms exchange congratulations along the bench
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Sikura Nets Winner to Push Eagles Win Streak to Seven - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Earn Point Saturday against Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Silver Knights Win, 4-3, in OT against the Heat - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins' Eight Game Home Point Streak Comes to an End - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bears Fly, Bears Win over Hartford 5-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bears in First Half of Back-To-Back Set - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs, Teply Shoot Down Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Providence Fights back to Beat Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Extends Point Streak to Four Games on Saturday - Texas Stars
- Grimaldi Hat Trick Propels Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Providence Bruins Rally from Behind, Defeat Bridgeport Islanders, 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Hershey Bears 2022 Teddy Bear Toss Sets New World Record - Hershey Bears
- Nylander, Puustinen Lead Penguins Rally for 3-2 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Rally Past Crunch, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Head Coach Kevin Dineen Earns 400th Win against Crunch - Utica Comets
- Marlies Fall to Penguins in Overtime - Toronto Marlies
- Kyle Criscuolo, Luke Witkowski Rejoin Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Rally in 3rd to Top Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Tips Wolves in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Third-Period Explosion Lifts Checkers over Lehigh Valley - Charlotte Checkers
- 5 Things: Heat vs Henderson, 1.22.22 - Stockton Heat
- Wolves Battle in Frigid Winnipeg - Chicago Wolves
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Forward Liam Foudy to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Fix-Wolansky and Gaunce Both Score Hat Tricks in Monsters 7-3 Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Kalynuk and Morris Join Blackhawks; Hardman Returns to IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Panthers Recall Chase Priskie, Assign Evan Fitzpatrick to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Eagles Complete Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Greco, Reunanen to Taxi Squad, Assign Wall to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Eye Henderson Sweep Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Game #30: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Visit Bears in Key Atlantic Division Showdown - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Owen Headrick to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Gemel Smith Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Celebrate 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night vs. Stars at the BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Henderson Defeated by Stockton, 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Heat Outlast Henderson in 3-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Teply and Howarth Tally in Physical Loss to Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall to Eagles in Colorado, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Annunen Backstops Colorado to 2-1 Win over Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Take First of Two in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Gardner and Tufte Each Net Two as Texas Topples Rockford - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley Phantoms Stories
- Take a Bow, Phantoms Sandstrom Shutout Win Ends Season
- Sandström, Högberg, Zamula Returned to Phantoms
- Phantoms Take Setback in Penultimate Game
- T-Birds Pull Away in 3rd
- Phantoms Power Play