Heat Eye Henderson Sweep Saturday
Saturday, January 22, 2022
TONIGHT'S MATCHUP: Stockton Heat (23-7-2-1; 1st Pacific) vs. Henderson Silver Knights (16-11-2-1; 5th Pacific)
LOCATION: Stockton Arena | Stockton, California
TIME: 6:00 p.m. PST
TUNE IN: Today's game can be streamed on AHLTV, and the radio call is available online via Spreaker.
In a dramatic start to the two-game weekend set, the Stockton Heat bested the Henderson Silver Knights by a 3-1 final score Friday at Stockton Arena. Byron Froese scored twice, sandwiched around Jakob Pelletier's game-winner, as the while Glenn Gawdin and Matthew Phillips also notched multi-point games in the win. Dustin Wolf made 28 saves on 29 shots faced in earning his league-leading 17th win of the year.
A PERFECT 10
With Friday's win over the Henderson Silver Knights, Stockton is now 10-0-0-0 on the year this season in the games immediately following losses. The Heat have outscored opponents 40-17 in those games and own a 14-5 edge in four bounce-back contests at Stockton Arena. Dustin Wolf has earned the win in eight of those games and Jakob Pelletier has lit the lamp in five with nine points total in the nine bounce-back games he's skated in.
When the game is on the line, look for Jakob Pelletier to elevate his game. With his game-winning goal on Friday, Pelletier now has a team-best five game-winners to his credit on the season and has factored into nine total GWGs, including all four overtime clinchers on the season.
MAKE IT HAPPEN, CAP'N
Byron Froese notched his second multi-goal effort of the season on Friday with a pair of scores, one to open the scoring and one to slam the door with the empty-netter. The captain ranks fourth among active skaters for the Heat with nine goals and 18 points, coming in 21 games. Froese has four points (2g, 2a) in five games since returning from Calgary.
THREE'S COMPANY, TWO'S RARE
With Glenn Gawdin's first assist on Friday, he became the third Heat skater to reach the 30-point mark on the season. He joins Matthew Phillips (32 points) and Jakob Pelletier (33 points) as players who have crossed the 30-point threshold on the year for the Heat, and the trio has Stockton positioned as one of only two teams in the league with three 30-point scorers, joined by the Chicago Wolves.
Both the game-opening and game-winning goals Friday were scored on the power play for the Heat, Froese lighting the lamp first and Pelletier putting the home team ahead for good. With the victory over Henderson, Stockton is now a remarkable 17-1-1-0 on the year when scoring on the power play.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Sikura Nets Winner to Push Eagles Win Streak to Seven - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Earn Point Saturday against Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Silver Knights Win, 4-3, in OT against the Heat - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins' Eight Game Home Point Streak Comes to an End - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bears Fly, Bears Win over Hartford 5-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bears in First Half of Back-To-Back Set - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs, Teply Shoot Down Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Providence Fights back to Beat Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Extends Point Streak to Four Games on Saturday - Texas Stars
- Grimaldi Hat Trick Propels Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Providence Bruins Rally from Behind, Defeat Bridgeport Islanders, 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Hershey Bears 2022 Teddy Bear Toss Sets New World Record - Hershey Bears
- Nylander, Puustinen Lead Penguins Rally for 3-2 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Rally Past Crunch, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Head Coach Kevin Dineen Earns 400th Win against Crunch - Utica Comets
- Marlies Fall to Penguins in Overtime - Toronto Marlies
- Kyle Criscuolo, Luke Witkowski Rejoin Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Rally in 3rd to Top Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Tips Wolves in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Third-Period Explosion Lifts Checkers over Lehigh Valley - Charlotte Checkers
- 5 Things: Heat vs Henderson, 1.22.22 - Stockton Heat
- Wolves Battle in Frigid Winnipeg - Chicago Wolves
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Forward Liam Foudy to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Fix-Wolansky and Gaunce Both Score Hat Tricks in Monsters 7-3 Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Kalynuk and Morris Join Blackhawks; Hardman Returns to IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Panthers Recall Chase Priskie, Assign Evan Fitzpatrick to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Eagles Complete Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Greco, Reunanen to Taxi Squad, Assign Wall to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Eye Henderson Sweep Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Game #30: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Visit Bears in Key Atlantic Division Showdown - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Owen Headrick to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Gemel Smith Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Celebrate 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night vs. Stars at the BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Henderson Defeated by Stockton, 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Heat Outlast Henderson in 3-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Teply and Howarth Tally in Physical Loss to Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall to Eagles in Colorado, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Annunen Backstops Colorado to 2-1 Win over Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Take First of Two in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Gardner and Tufte Each Net Two as Texas Topples Rockford - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.