Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 7 p.m.
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears continue the 2021-22 season, presented by Penn State Health, tonight against the Hartford Wolf Pack at GIANT Center. The puck drops at 7 P.M. The Hartford Wolf Pack are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's New York Rangers. Tonight is the second of six meetings between the two clubs. This evening's game is Hershey's GIANT Teddy Bear Toss. Fans are encouraged to throw teddy bears and other stuffed animals onto the ice following Hershey's first goal of the game
Hartford Wolf Pack (17-10-3-2) at Hershey Bears (18-11-3-2)
January 22, 2022 | 7 P.M. | Game #35 | GIANT Center
Patrick Hanrahan (#52), Casey Terreri (#75)
Linespersons: Richard Jondo (#55), Colin Gates (#3)
Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch, and FOX43 Sports Director Todd Sadowski on the call
TELEVISION: Antenna TV, WPMT 43.2
Comcast 247, Verizon Fios 463, Blue Ridge Ephrata 91, Blue Ridge Newberry/Duncannon 88
RADIO: WFVY-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
Radio pre-game coverage starts at 6:30 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT:
The Hershey Bears take the ice tonight for the first time since last Sunday at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. After opening the season with seven straight wins versus its I-81 rival, Hershey fell 2-1 at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Shane Gersich scored Hershey's lone goal in the loss, tallying in the closing seconds of the middle period. Patrick Watling had the winning goal for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 9:17 of the third period. The Wolf Pack last skated on Wednesday night versus Toronto, scoring a 5-2 win at the XL Center. Austin Rueschhoff had a pair of goals and netminder Keith Kinkaid made 28 saves.
TEDDY BEAR TOSS TIME:
In a sight that truly must be seen, thousands upon thousands of stuffed animals will come raining down tonight at GIANT Center. Tonight's world-famous GIANT Teddy Bear Toss sees fans throw teddy bears and other stuffed animals onto the ice following Hershey's first goal of the game. In 2019, Hershey collected 45,650 plush toys, a world record. As part of the club's Hershey Bears Cares initiative, which showcases the philanthropic activities and volunteer efforts of Bears players and staff members throughout the community, teddy bears and stuffed animals are collected and donated to more than 25 local organizations.
TEDDY BEAR HISTORY:
This year's GIANT Teddy Bear Toss marks the 20th event in team history. The club has collected an estimated 269,858 plush toys since 2001. Last year, the Bears could not hold the Teddy Bear Toss in its traditional form due to COVID-19, but still collected 31,381 plush toys in a drive-thru setting. This year marks the second consecutive time Hershey has played Hartford on the night of the Teddy Bear Toss. In 2019, Hershey defeated the Wolf Pack, 4-3 in overtime, on Dec. 1. Christian Djoos scored the first period goal that sent a world record 45,650 stuffed animals flying to the ice. A total of 10 players on Hershey's current roster played in that game, including forward Joe Snively, who assisted on Djoos' goal. Hershey forward Ryan Dmowski also played in that game, but as a member of the Wolf Pack. Since 2001, Hershey's all-time record on Teddy Bear Toss is 13-2-0-2 in addition to two ties. Hershey has won five straight Teddy Bear Toss games, scoring four or more goals in each of those contests.
TEDDY TOSS SCORERS:
Hershey has several players on the roster who have scored a Teddy Bear Toss goal in previous stops. Injured captain Matt Moulson scored the Ontario Reign's Teddy Bear Toss goal only 1:06 into the game on Dec. 15, 2018. Forward Kale Kessy scored a Teddy Bear Toss goal with ECHL Bakersfield on Dec. 4, 2013. Fellow forward Colby McAuley scored a Teddy Bear Toss goal in his junior days with the Prince George Cougars on Dec. 19, 2015, while Mason Morelli notched a Teddy Bear Toss goal just 15 seconds into the game for the Minot Minotauros in 2012.
Tonight is Hartford's first visit to the GIANT Center. The two teams played on Nov. 20 at the XL Center, with Hartford scoring a 7-3 win. Lauri Pajuniemi and Jonny Brodzinski each had a pair of goals for the Wolf Pack. Shane Gersich had a goal and an assist in that game for the Bears...Gersich has seven goals over his past eight games for the Bears and has tied his career-high of 10 goals set during the 2019-20 season...Hershey defender Dylan McIlrath played in Hartford for the Connecticut Whale/Wolf Pack for parts of five seasons from 2011-2016...Joe Snively owns an 11-game point streak on home ice, collecting 15 points (6g, 9a) in the stretch...Hershey defenseman Lucas Johansen has an assist in his last three outings for the club.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Sikura Nets Winner to Push Eagles Win Streak to Seven - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Earn Point Saturday against Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Silver Knights Win, 4-3, in OT against the Heat - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins' Eight Game Home Point Streak Comes to an End - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bears Fly, Bears Win over Hartford 5-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bears in First Half of Back-To-Back Set - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs, Teply Shoot Down Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Providence Fights back to Beat Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Extends Point Streak to Four Games on Saturday - Texas Stars
- Grimaldi Hat Trick Propels Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Providence Bruins Rally from Behind, Defeat Bridgeport Islanders, 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Hershey Bears 2022 Teddy Bear Toss Sets New World Record - Hershey Bears
- Nylander, Puustinen Lead Penguins Rally for 3-2 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Rally Past Crunch, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Head Coach Kevin Dineen Earns 400th Win against Crunch - Utica Comets
- Marlies Fall to Penguins in Overtime - Toronto Marlies
- Kyle Criscuolo, Luke Witkowski Rejoin Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Rally in 3rd to Top Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Tips Wolves in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Third-Period Explosion Lifts Checkers over Lehigh Valley - Charlotte Checkers
- 5 Things: Heat vs Henderson, 1.22.22 - Stockton Heat
- Wolves Battle in Frigid Winnipeg - Chicago Wolves
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Forward Liam Foudy to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Fix-Wolansky and Gaunce Both Score Hat Tricks in Monsters 7-3 Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Kalynuk and Morris Join Blackhawks; Hardman Returns to IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Panthers Recall Chase Priskie, Assign Evan Fitzpatrick to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Eagles Complete Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Greco, Reunanen to Taxi Squad, Assign Wall to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Eye Henderson Sweep Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Game #30: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Visit Bears in Key Atlantic Division Showdown - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Owen Headrick to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Gemel Smith Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Celebrate 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night vs. Stars at the BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Henderson Defeated by Stockton, 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Heat Outlast Henderson in 3-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Teply and Howarth Tally in Physical Loss to Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall to Eagles in Colorado, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Annunen Backstops Colorado to 2-1 Win over Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Take First of Two in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Gardner and Tufte Each Net Two as Texas Topples Rockford - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.